Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Silver Dollar 1921 Mintage O?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  06:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickelback to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all
I buyed a Morgan silver dollar with the year of 1921. Now the mintage is an O (for New Orleans), as I can see this on the backside of the coin.
Is this possible or did I read the letter wrong? I ask because I didnt found any confirmation that in 1921 the silver dollars were also minted in New Orleans.
If its really minted in New Orleans what you think is this Morgan silver dollar worth?
I appreciate your opinions.

Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The New Orleans mint closed in 1909 so it is not possible that you have an authentically O Morgan. Probably a very worn D or else an altered mint mark?
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11439 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is very worn and impossible to be an O mint . Sorry to burst your bubble but it's known by collectors as junk silver . $16-$17
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17544 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a larger photo of the mint mark area?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelback to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The New Orleans mint closed in 1909 so it is not possible that you have an authentically O Morgan. Probably a very worn D or else an altered mint mark?

Thank you I didnt know that New Orleans mint was closed in 1909. Nevertheless its not a D. What else it can be than a D that looks like an O? Maybe CC (Carson City). Dont know if they minted Silver Dollars in that year? and we see only one C?

Quote:
Your coin is very worn and impossible to be an O mint.

Why again it can only be a D or C. D is unlikely because the letter is round ond the left side

Quote:
Can you post a larger photo of the mint mark area?

Yes I will put a larger photo so that you can evaluate again. Thank for your support
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is just a mark on the coin and it happens to be a coincidence that it looks like an O mintmark. As others have said, there were no O mint coins after 1909. It could be a counterfeit but 1921 is a very common date and at that wear level it is just worth it's silver content mostly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40501 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking!

to the CCF!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelback to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its a simply scratch look at new photo.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05