Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Maryland State Quarter With Odd Yellow Tint And Plastic Coating

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  3:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wilbur to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm hoping someone can help me solve a mystery. My sister was given this quarter as change from a grocery store, and she noticed that it had a yellow tint and what seemed to be a clear epoxy coating on both sides. It has similar weight to a normal quarter. Do collectors sometimes go through the trouble of coating their coins to protect them? The edges are still rough and exposed.

My main question is: Why is there a different tint to it than normal quarters have? Is there something special about this quarter?

I apologize for the odd question but I appreciate any help. Thank you!

*** Edited by Staff to crop and/or rotate images. Please crop and correctly orient images before uploading. This can be done with most built in software on phones and MS Paint on most PCs. You can also use the free image optimizer. ***
Edited by wilbur
11/19/2018 3:08 pm
Learn More...
United States
71927 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Looks like a third party enhancement marketed and sold for a large premium, but holding no real value beyond face.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilbur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Thanks jbuck
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11351 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wilbur, first welcome to CCF. Second, @jbuck nailed it. Certainly cool to look at but only worth face value.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't really say why some aquire a yellow hue overtime. I have been collecting these since the beginning, pulling them from circulation as I got them, and several of my own are now as you described. They have a pleasing light "golden" tone even though they are encapsulated in Air-tite ring holders. Personally, I like the look.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilbur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence and Ballyhoo. That's interesting how some of them get a yellow hue. Since yours happen when they're encapsulated, maybe a lack of oxygen or something turns them? Interesting info.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36438 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with jbuck on this one.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11351 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how some of them get a yellow hue

Actually, I think that the companies were gold plating certain parts of the coin prior to adding the clear coat.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually, I think that the companies were gold plating certain parts of the coin prior to adding the clear coat.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10782 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say a colorized coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilbur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional input and the clarification. I really appreciate you folks taking a look and the warm welcome. Happy Thanksgiving to all the US folk on here.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05