Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Long time token dealer Allan Davies has passed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
94 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
http://ottawacitizen.remembering.ca...8-1071365823

Sad news received tonight. I first met Al at one of the Niagara Falls RCNA conventions. Great guy, friendly, knowledgeable and willing to pass on that knowledge, good story teller. I'll miss him. Token collecting won't be the same without him.

Gene
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I visited Al at his place, with Jaime, on November 4th... he looked better than he did in the spring... he recently shared a table with Graham Neil at the most recent Nuphilex in Montreal. He would occasionally come out for "coins-n-beer" night in Ottawa, and torture Jaime with oddball stuff like his golfball collection, ceramic roosters and other things...

Sudden, shocking news... he will be missed...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Al was a terrific guy. Ginger and I usually saw him each summer at the RCNA. Friendly, pleasant, and extremely knowledgeable about tokens. I will miss talking with him.
Edited by bosox
11/20/2018 12:55 am
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jetons Canada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought from mister Davis for few years already. First time that I met him was at the Nuphilex earlier this month, and I was happy about it. I am sad that one of the real tokens dealer has left us.

Clément
Edited by Jetons Canada
11/20/2018 11:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
521 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Al had an unparalleled sense of humour - one more reason to be missed.

The (my) herd is thinning ...

jaime
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I attended the funeral service today for Allan Davies. It was simple, but summarized how Allan approached everything pragmatically... with a sense of humour.

I signed the guest book, and then I also signed the guest book with a note on behalf of a few members from CCF who knew him well (e.g., bosox and t_y).

Allan was very active on the old CCRS website, where many of us became friends with him. Allan was a member of CCF (username: Carpman), but only posted on occasion, the last time being when Doug Robbins died. Today, it was a saddening moment to do something I have never done as a moderator - and click on the button that marks a member as deceased.

RIP friend...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A really nice numismatic tribute to Allan Davies, written by Sean Isaacs.

https://alliancecoin.wordpress.com/...llan-davies/

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
2080 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Al was a great friend of mine from the old CCRS days and the myriad of shows that we used to attend. He was always at the CNA shows in Hamilton and others in the T.O. area. I saw much less of him once he moved East, but we were still in relatively frequent content via emails. A great sense of humor and a font on knowledge on tokens and Nascar racing. He will be (and is) sorely missed.
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  08:05 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Bill... but "Crapman" will live forever!!

(an old inside CCRS joke, for the rest of you)

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had forgotten about the conversion of Al's handle into Crapman. :))
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup... an innocuous typo from Bill, which we took great pleasure in.

Several years ago, when Jaime and I were XRF-ing Bill's 1859 coins for the brass article we wrote, I played a little joke on Bill...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
2080 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, it WASN'T a typo by me. Either Jaime or Roger erased the Carpman and transposed the 2nd and 3rd letters. Then they took a photo (probably this one) and posted it on CCRS. It's a long-standing joke and Al laughed very well at it.
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill - it WAS a typo of yours on CCRS (remember we could not edit our posts there)... Randy was the one who spotted it. The joke on the coin flip happened a few years after we all left CCRS, where do you think our inspiration for that little prank came from?

The photo above was posted only our Yahoo site - we had already quit CCRS by that time.

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05