Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where would you put this coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3995 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is from Hutt River in Australia but has US markings so is it Australian or US

Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Learn More...
United States
63393 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11123 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hutt River is a province in Australia that claims to be a sovereign micro-nation, but Australia disagrees.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3167 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista classifies Hutt River Province as a micronation, along with Sealand, Seborga, and Lundy.

I suppose these would belong in world coins here at CCF.
Learn More...
United States
63393 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some collect "Fantasy Coins"- Hutt River Province is a location that fits as well as a larger number of Fantasy Coins.
In fact, there is a Fantasy Coin checklist, but there is so much of it nowadays, the checklist I used must be way out of date by now.
It's not Australian or US at all.
Edited by Albert
11/20/2018 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3167 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Different cataloging authorities seem to differ on fantasy/real coin status. Examples:

Numista          Krause
-----------      ------------------
Micronation      Unusual              Hutt River Province
Micronation      Unusual              Seborga Principality              
Micronation      Unusual              Sealand Principality 
Micronation      Unusual              Lundy
Country          Unusual              Sovereign Order of Malta
Fantasy          Sovereign Nation     Creek Nation
Fantasy          Sovereign Nation     Shawnee Tribal Nation
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krause itself also moves coins first listed in the SCWC to the UWC catalogs.
Call them Micro, Unrecognized, Unusual, Fantasy- Joel Anderson has a nice catalog with many of them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3995 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's a lot of info I didn't know about,

But I'm still not sure where to file this coin in my own records.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3167 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my collection, coins are physically filed by date, so it would go with the other 1991 coins. In the folder with coin pics, the filename would start with 1991_AU_Hutt_River_Province_-----.

For example, the conventionally-illuminated obverse shot of my Hutt River coin is named:

1978_AU_Hutt_River_Province_20cents_1o_DPP_2018_02_22__0021_1.jpg
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3995 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks pepactonius will work on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fantasy coin, so to that end, why not collect more?
They can be fun and interesting and you can fill a small binder with a lot of neat locations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4028 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, nice pick up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great add mcshilling. I love the Desert Storm side of the coin.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3995 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if it's a $5 fantasy coin can it be used in Australia or any where for $5 ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doubtful if it's accepted as legitimate money, but I really do not know
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05