Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Is This Seated Dollar In This Holder (ICG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  2:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hmmmm Your thoughts and guesses are welcome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183550672853
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4237 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "thing" down at the foot?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't see anything else that jumps out.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a very choice piece. I don't like the rubbing on the leg or that flaw.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It wouldn't surprise me if PCGS and NGC would only details grade it at best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an odd looking planchet flaw, but it does look like it was there pre-strike. Nice coin otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 is ICG gave it a Proof Like attribution that is unlikely to be repeated at another TPG.
#2 the color possibly was cause for rejection at a major TPG (heavy enough in some spots to be considered Environmental Damage).
#3 could be another reason we can't see because it is priced at well under MS62 money by a veteran coin seller.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any sense of what that mark is - what do you guys think?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18574 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to your question, everything has to be somewhere.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't say really, I mean the thing on the leg looks like a lam of sorts, so I doubt it would detailed anywhere for that but tbh the coin does look to have a very environmental look, not to mention, the grade seems very optimistic. I know most tpgs are pretty lenient on these, but I think that a previous owner may have thought that the main tpgs were too rough on it and submitted it to ICG for a more lenient grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell how deep that planchet flaw is, but it's big, obtrusive, and selling into a small market for flawed MS Seated coins. MS62 looks fair....but....

I have an otherwise nice coin with a planchet dig under a star. It was cheap for date and condition but the flaw is what draws your eye. Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As to your question, everything has to be somewhere.

Pretty much the answer to that question. Why does everyone assume it was sent to ICG because they are more lenient with problem coins? I've seen accurate grading from them imo.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course some good and accurately graded coins are in ICG holders. But when a coin is being sold by a veteran coin dealer and is worth thousands of dollars more in a PCGS or NGC holder of the same grade? It's a good question to ask.

ANA #R3154474
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05