Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 Canadian 1 Cent Coin Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinMeOutside to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone. I found this coin while searching through pocket change. I would just like to know what type of error it is.
I've seen some coins with fill around the head but not sure if this is the same type of error. any help would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
738 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just my guess but I'd say very late stage obverse die, in other words die wear.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these are quite common for this year, check the leaves on the other side they may have extra metal on them too
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42768 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4710 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very common for 79
Secret Santa look here to see what I have.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2590 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and very nice photo as well.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMeOutside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
these are quite common for this year, check the leaves on the other side they may have extra metal on them too

no extra metal on the back at all. Just around her head. Thanks for your input everyone.
Learn More...
Canada
8688 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

There is no extra metal on this coin (or else it would weigh more)... that is the result of an over polished, over-used die. The deterioration of the die occurs where the devices meet the fields, or where the depth of the devices is very shallow, close to the level of the fields (remember on dies, the fields are the highest point).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMeOutside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys. I just wanted to update what I found out. A video on YouTube by cubro99 has a video about all the errors on the 1979 Canadian 1 cent. It turns out that this error is a Die Clash error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
744 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is not a die clash, read again what SPP wrote
Edited by oldmike
11/25/2018 11:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7312 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't be a die clash.
There is nothing on the reverse that matches the markings.
Don't believe everything you read on You Tube, especially
when it comes to coins.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMeOutside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya. After posting that I found a few other sites that told me a lot of other information on that year. Everyone has a different idea of what it is. I've heard a few times what SPP said now so the popular answer seems to be what he's said.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11201 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Dorado
11/25/2018 8:42 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8688 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Everyone has a different idea of what it is. I've heard a few times what SPP said now so the popular answer seems to be what he's said.

Understanding the minting process and how the dies change as they get older, is not a popularity contest. If you are going to dive into the world of striking errors, then learning as much as you can about the minting process is paramount...

This is a good start: http://www.error-ref.com
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05