Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin Half Dollar - Understanding Pricing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 474Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2018  10:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm working on a set of MS65 Franklin half dollars. It seems for certain dates, there is a very wide range of prices offered on various sites for the same grade coin. For example, a 1950 D MS65FBL has prices ranging from around $175 to $495 with CDN grey sheet listing a value of $228. I realize some of it can be attributed to toning vs no toning and, of course, eye appeal. But, at the same time, I don't want to over pay.

I'm looking for primarily clean, good luster and eye appeal and shy away from the toned as they tend to either be unattractive or difficult to judge the underlying coin features.

I realized eye appeal is subjective. I'm thinking trying to stay around the grey sheet price or below is still a good guideline and resist jumping for higher priced coin that may be just a tiny bit better looking.

Thoughts?
Learn More...
United States
25942 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CDN grey sheet prices:

a) are dealer to dealer "wholesale" prices
b) assume the coin is graded properly

A problem free, good eye appeal coin can easily be valued at a higher price.
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, when there is a big jump in price to the next grade, then there looks to be a wider range of prices for the lower grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've started buying PCGS MS64 Indian Head cents and have never found one priced any where near "gray sheet"prices, at least not yet anyway. Nice examples are always much higher. I started getting a better feel for pricing once I bought my first 5 or 6 of them. Good luck with your set and hope you post pictures!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05