Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brampton Coin show today.......

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  11:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Man oh man, what has become of this hobby.

Brampton coin show was half empty and what a waste of time and gas!

I used to go to all the Ontario coin shows - Paris, Cand, Torex even London and Windsor.

Number one problem is dealers don't get the depressed market and they are charging same prices as in the good years.

I say if they are chasing pre-2008 prices, then they are going to watch their inventory slowly tone in their showcases.

No more shows for me......
Edited by doubleeagle59
12/02/2018 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Number one problem is dealers don't get the depressed market and they are charging same prices as in the good years.

I say if they are chasing pre-2008 prices, then they are going to watch their inventory slowly tone in their showcases.

I agree this is the case for some, but not all, dealers. I picked up some great NCLT finds this summer at half of issue from an LCS that understands the market and adjusted BOTH their buying and selling prices. Win-win all around!

Valued Member
Canada
173 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never been to the Brampton show. Mainly because it is too far a drive for me. I find there are similar dealers at many of the shows in the GTA. I'm more selective now as far as which shows I attend and which dealers I focus on at those shows. Some dealers understand that you can turn over inventory a lot faster and be better off by selling at a fair price, while others seem to view the Charlton guide or Trends as the bible.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4590 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was a dealer at the show and I think it went pretty well. No other dealers seemed disappointed with the turn-out today and I would say for the first half of the day we were pretty busy..i guess it all depends what time you arrived at.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Edited by thedollarman
12/02/2018 4:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was a dealer at the show and I think it went pretty well. No other dealers seemed disappointed with the turn-out today and I would say for the first half of the day we were pretty busy..i guess it all depends what time you arrived at.

With all due respect, compared to the not too distant past (pre-2008), these shows stink.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4590 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I wasn't even a serious collector that long ago so I can''t say anythign from first hand experience but compared to other recent smaller shows this Brampton show was pretty good and was one of the only recent ones where I didn't hear dealers complain about a slow day or no sales.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

Edited by thedollarman
12/02/2018 8:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Apitrix's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Apitrix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my understanding, some dealers were away due to health issues, and pre-arranged vacations. Thus they were not able to attend. I believe the Brampton show was great for all dealers, I did not hear a single complaint about not being able to make up for their table. This includes strong prices on banknotes, and coins all selling today. The "Good old days" as you call them are still here, and people are still more than happy to pay for quality pieces.

Would it be more the possibility you did not get the deals you were expecting due to a smaller outcome?

Again, as far as buying and selling, it was a fantastic show as a dealer, and as a collector.

Also, the show had 20+ people crowding tables all morning up until 1. Could it by chance be that you made it to the show late?

The early bird always catches the worm, a certain dealer was putting out a buffet of premium coins at a very discounted price all day long.
Edited by Apitrix
12/02/2018 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The early bird always catches the worm, a certain dealer was putting out a buffet of premium coins at a very discounted price all day long.

Don't name the dealer but I would ask that you give me a couple of coin examples and the prices they were sold at.
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to do that show, when I started doing shows... the organizer is my uncle (Willard Burton)... this was around 2011 to 2013, and it was a good show. The folks who came out were those who disliked travelling to downtown Toronto for shows. I have not been there in several years however... but glad to hear it is still run.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Apitrix's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Apitrix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up getting some nickels at 50% of trends, this includes some for my personal collection, i.e. 1947ML, some 1943 tombacs from an original roll for $5 each, a 1937 SP penny for $80. Along with some beautifully toned 1958 coins for roughly double - triple melt. And that is just a small number of what was put out. I saw dealers and collectors running around all day.

Usually during shows people will complain about not making enough to pay for their table, but this show everyone did great.

I thoroughly enjoy the Brampton show, and was happy with the outcome
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4590 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was hard to keep track of my dealings for the day..i got some errors for solid prices and a 53 sp cent tucked into a group lot for a steal. People understand the market..collectors and dealers are on the same page for the most part it seems. I don't know who you dealt with at the show or what you were after but that is an important factor too. Every show will have a dealer who is over priced..that's just how it is. But even then I don't understand what you are talking about when you say the show was basically dead...

Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizard1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always enjoy going to the Brampton show, and make sure I go there at show open to get the best deals. This edition of the show was no exception, I bought so much stuff at very very reasonable prices. It was so busy too right at open. Even with a couple of the regular dealers missing there was a ton of material available.

There are shows that I personally don't particularly like as they're geared towards more higher end stuff, but at the same time there are others that love that show.

Doesn't mean I have to go on bashing them. I don't have the need to discourage others from going or convince them it's s crap show (pardon my English). People will go themselves and make up their own decisions whether or not a show is worth their time and effort to attend in the future.
Edited by Wizard1
12/03/2018 3:00 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8155 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got some errors for solid prices and a 53 sp cent tucked into a group lot for a steal

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1530 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i totally forgot about this show until I read this thread, I would have went too. from what I remember it was a descent show if I remember I think I picked up a beauty 1891 sd large cent for only about 6 or 8 $
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Edited by gidjit
12/03/2018 3:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4590 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP Sorry to say the cent was sold before I could get pics of it..but the errors are posted on Kevin(Apitrix) and I's instagram account..i would post them here as well if I cousl figure out how but doing that kind of stuff on a mobile device is almost impossible for me haha...speaking of which, any CCF member wishing to follow us on instagram, just shoot me an email and I will tell you the account name:)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1421 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad to see that the disconnect between on-line prices and show table prices are harmonizing (at least for some). Not so long ago dealers were bottom feeding on eBay and bringing stock to shows. Those days are numbered if not over all together. Anyone trying to sell common/average coinage for anything over 50% trends in this market is not going to sell anything and if they do, they are not doing their client justice. More rare in condition, quality and/or key year coins do better. Like I always say...In this market its easier to sell a $10000 coin than a $100 one...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05