Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Holed Chinese cash coin - please identify?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twinkinator to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all - a Chinese friend of mine gave me this coin recently, and we would like to know what it is. Based on his translation of the characters, we think it's a 10 cash coin from the Song dynasty? We would also like to know the value of the coin. I have not cleaned the coin in any way, but if there is anything my local coin store or I can do to improve the surface of the coin without damaging it, please let me know.

I appreciate your help identifying this! Sorry for the rotated images - the uploader and optimizer wasn't cooperating.

Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area but one side does resemble Northern Song Dynasty. Perhaps a common coin valued $5.00 or so?
Edited by Albert
12/03/2018 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
505 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like it is a Hartill 17.788
Year 1251

Emperor Li Zong
Obv: Chun You Yuan Bao (clockwise from the top)
Rev: Shi Yi (regnal year 11) making it from 1251
rarity scale of 9/16 (common)

Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I overlooked the coin Half posted above because as I didn't grasp how to read page 209- but I see now H17.788, Southern Song Dynasty is likely to be the right piece.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twinkinator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, Half and Albert! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Based on that catalog number, it looks like it's 1 cash, not 10 cash if I understand it correctly.

Is the value still ~$5 as Albert said in his first post?
Edited by twinkinator
12/05/2018 12:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hartill shows common but $10 instead of $5
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twinkinator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know. Thanks, Albert!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
505 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are quite welcome Twink. Nice when an opportunity presents itself to breakout my books.

Prices for cash are all over the place so it is hard to pin a value on these bad boys.
Edited by Half
12/06/2018 06:34 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05