Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi everyone, My Jefferson has 2 N's...INN GOD WE TRUST

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ronryken1966 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really need a better pic (zoomed in) on the N in question.

But I think it is normal, lots of circulation or possibly MD or deterioration... I'm still learning.

Anyways, better images = better answers!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BigThumb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It'll probably wash off I found extra letters a few times looked like an error till I hit with a tooth brush
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big Thumb... NO TOOTHBRUSH!! This will ruin the coin!

Acetone soak and pat dry at best to clean your coin. Better to leave your coin dirty than to damage it.
Edited by Eye4Error
12/05/2018 3:37 pm
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ronryken1966 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will do...thank you all for the input....I'm still just learning....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30266 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May just be several coincidental hits that appear to be an N.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance of more photos with better lighting?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6987 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no way a toothbrush is gonna hurt that nickel.
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
26pcs, of 28, so far

Pillar of the Community
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's no way a toothbrush is gonna hurt that nickel.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, come on guys.....no need to give this OP false hopes. It's a very common, well circulated nickel, no more no less.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So let me get this straight... You can use a toothbrush on a coin. I was told early on that I should only soak and carefully blot coins. Thought this would scratch the surface.

I mostly just leave them be, have tried soaking a few I wanted to see more detail on... but very few.

Maybe... this no scratch or cleaned rule only applies to grade of coin? hmmm...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3132 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once a coin has as much circulation damage as the subject coin has, you pretty much can't hurt it.

It's worth 5c. If you lightly scrubbed it with steel wool, it would still be worth - wait for it - 5c. So a toothbrush won't hurt it.

Now if it had numismatic value, then the toothbrush is a really bad idea.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for clarifying... makes sense!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14679 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing it.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05