Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Visual preference of a proof set

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
89 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pocketchange2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would you have a significant (visual, etc.) preference for one or the other proof sets shown?

Comments, please.

Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the top one with all the coins in the proper position, not rotated like the bottom set.
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14556 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are talking about proof sets, then presentation by of the packaging, must be important. Your own personal preference becomes a very important aspect.

My preference is the for the way proof coins are actually made. I prefer the older approach used by mints around the World before 1950.
Then, selected dies were used and selected blanks were used, and the coins were struck at increased pressure, sometimes double struck.

Now, polished blanks are used, the fields of the dies are mirror polished, and the details are etched to produce a cameo effect. I have a problem with the production of the cameo effect, because some of the fine detail is lost to produce the cameo effect.
When the detail in NOT cameoed, all of the detail is retained on the coin. That is why I am personally not really happy with the modern cameo effect.
I prefer the older style of proof production, where all of the design detail is retained on the proof die.

A good example of the older approach to proof coin production can be found on much older proof coins, such as the proof sets produced by the British Royal Mint in 1937.

Admittedly, modern encapsulated and boxed proof coin packaging is far superior for those proof coins produced before about 1970.

Modern polished field cameo proof coins seem a bit 'gimmiky' to my eye, despite their great popularity.

Learn More...
United States
63483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As photographed? No, I do not see a real difference between them other than the alignment mentioned above.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did you rotate them ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any difference. No way to stop the rotation in the package, it happens over time and with multiple handling.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24716 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without seeing the reverse,I like the top one because they are properly rotated...for now .
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't matter.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even mounted in a Capital Plastics holder they seem to move around. No affect on the value of the set, only thing that matters is pristine coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the same set, same spots on the half and the dime, the coins are just rotated.

You can't fool me.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks similar to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9373 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why are we even discussing this ?
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pocketchange2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 Tanman: Wasn't trying to fool anybody!

This is obviously the same set.
I've modified the image to illustrate my question/point.
I personally prefer the image (hypothetical set) with all the coins in the upright position, and I was wondering if it would be worth my the time to rotate the coins in all my sets to an upright position, that is, would others see the same advantages.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are taking photos or displaying these for others to see, you should rotate them to an upright position
If you are not showing anyone else, and you're not bothered with them being rotated every which way, you shouldn't have to.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8455 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:11 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tricky. You had me going until Tanman pointed it out.

My initial thought was that I had no preference. I suppose because I know that the coins' positions will not be maintained if handled and I could see no noticeable difference in the coins from set to set (I got that right!). Even some older TPG slabs allow coins to rotate, from what I understand. Rattlers?
Such Oxygen!

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
63483 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sneaky!

For what it is worth I would be cutting those coins out and putting them in a Dansco.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05