Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$20 Premium Federal Reserve Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mexico
2 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  08:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yuca22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. My friend has one of these sets and doesn't speak a lot of English so he has asked me to help him sell it. From what I have researched, these are 1996 series bills with low and matched serial numbers from the 12 reserve banks. Does anyone know if/ where interest might be in something like this?

TIA
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24716 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Can you post photos?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF.

Approximately 2000 of these low/matched serial number sets were sold. Prices vary from $350 - $500 depending mostly on the serial number. I've seen completed auctions on both eBay and Heritage. They are series 1996, when the $20 received a major design change, from small portrait to large portrait and double letters preceding the serial number. They really don't come up for sale/auction that often.

What is the serial number of your friends set ?
Mexico
2 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yuca22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick responses. I contacted Heritage and the value is too low for them to handle. I have bought from Ebay before but have not sold so I am afraid my lack of history would scare off potential buyers.

Here are a couple of photos I took when he showed me the set.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Set number 1886...unfortunately the serial number is somewhat unremarkable.

I also rarely sell on eBay, and would probably search for a completed auction of a similar set and use their description with your photos and serial numbers.
Learn More...
United States
63487 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the backstory, Stever!

to the Paper Money Forum!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I think Steve answered your question well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3133 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.

Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A collector can also find a 1996 $20 low serial numbered note in the BEP's Premium Historical Portfolio. This was a two note set that included one of the last 1995 (small portrait) $20's and a 1996 (large portrait) $20. The serial numbers and districts were non-matching. The set comes in a substantial rigid sleeved folder with Mylar windows displaying both sides of the note.The 1996 notes in these sets started where the matching serial numbered Premium Federal Reserve sets left off. It takes patience getting the notes out of the BEP folder.

Edited by SteveInTampa
12/07/2018 05:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are more novelty than collectable. I have a feeling that by the time you are done paying Ebay and PayPal fees, you may not even get face value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are more novelty than collectible

I agree, but imagine ordering a set and getting all 12 districts with serial number 00001234 or 00000099 ....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are more novelty than collectable. I have a feeling that by the time you are done paying Ebay and PayPal fees, you may not even get face value.

Maybe . but the last eBay sale was on 11/24/18 and it sold for $513.69. There were 9 bidders and two of them bid over $500 for the set.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05