Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Galba Denarius Posing As A Broach

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
513 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  7:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I never really contemplated on ever finishing a 12 Caesars set until quite a few future pay raises. After all, I'm only 4 years into this fine hobby. But this came up for auction for under $40 - only thing is - it's encased in a very old hand made silver pin. I don't know how I'm going to remove it yet, may bring it to my jeweler.

Any thoughts on it would be appreciated - thanks everyone.

Edited by travelcoin
12/06/2018 8:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2631 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if it is just encased, not soldered in, the case might be removable, and the coin may well have little damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I'm hoping it's not soldered in. I'll post the pics once I get it removed. If I get it removed
Edited by travelcoin
12/06/2018 8:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5664 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Provided you can get the brooch off with little or no damage, I'd call it a slam dunk deal. Nice powerful portrait and a scarcer reverse too
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brought it to the jeweler ...

Good News: It's not soldered or glued in

Bad News: The workmanship is so good, he couldn't pry it out without possibly damaging the coin (said that it was probably done late 19th early 20th century)

Plan B I'm going to use a Dremel tool to try and carefully saw the encasement and therefore releasing the coin.

Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try not to saw all the way through the silver wire.
In fact why not use a small file instead and do it by hand?

Be sure to provide pics once you've freed the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12478 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that @jsk's idea of using a hand file, especially as you get close to break-through is a really good idea.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fellas this is why I post. You just gave me "Plan C". Jeweler said that the metal is lead based, so I don't think it would be difficult to file. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3004 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  04:25 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking I can see solder on the reverse of the coin ( perhaps not )
As well as some fairly serious scratching around the portrait
I would leave it as is
The jeweler is probably right about the age of the workmanship
It is an antique piece of 'art'
I believe it has more 'worth' as is

None of us ( I hope ! ) would consider doing such a thing to a coin
But what's done is done
You might even wear it when attending big numismatic "hootnannies" such as the NYC International
I'm sure it would get admiring glances

But once removed ........ ?
It's just a Galba denarius in fairly rough shape
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
12/31/2018 04:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is an antique piece of 'art'
Agreed, that's why I had a knot in my stomach at the thought of taking it out. I just thought it's the right thing to do.

But it actually displays well in my office. Leaving as is in fear of further damage to the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3004 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the positive side .......
I certainly would have grabbed it for $40 !
I'm fairly sure that if seeing it so gives you great pains
You could probably peddle it off on eBay for double that or trade it for something "nicer"

But do let us know if you are planning to part with it
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05