Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Iridescent Colored 2000 D Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sarge61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 2000 D penny in a need a penny take a penny cup. I have searched for another one like it online but haven't found one yet. Does anyone know about or seen one before ?
I did notice that it's struck off center.

Edited by Sarge61
12/07/2018 4:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42768 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been exposed to some unknown environmental condition that's produced this interesting toning.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7314 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some sort of environmental damage and yes, it is a off centre strike,
not enough to warrant a premium though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13919 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sarge61, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes I agree that the strike was slightly off, but not by enough that it would be worth more than face value. With regard to the toning, it does look pretty cool, but as this is done after leaving the mint (either as an innocent exposure to some chemical or the environment or by someone practing their artificial toning skills), your cent is only worth face value. If you decide to save it, of course don't touch or breath on the fields and preserve it in a 2x2.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16096 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most collectors would NOT spray this coin with a clear acrylic laquer but I certainly would, to preserve the otherwise transitory nature of nice rainbow toning.

Car manufacturers always protect metallic paint finishes with a clear laquer finish. Paint is much softer than coin metal, and can oxidize faster.

I use a clear hard paint sealant as an extra on both of my metallic finish cars, and I never have to use polish, to retain a showroom finish.

The same sealant works even better for rainbow toned coins. It kills further atmospheric oxidation stone dead.

The sealant can be easily removed with acetone, but I would certainly not do that with the coins I have.
Why remove the protection?
Edited by sel_69l
12/07/2018 10:40 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, I think I'll clean it to remove any oils and contaminants from handling it and keep it. What ever happened to it left a unique coin. For being 18 years old it dosen't show many signs of being in circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11201 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16096 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CC!

Don't use anything on your coin, best left in its original skin. It appears to have been chemically exposed, looks like ink or marker. Nonetheless, if you like it, keep it. I have a few rolls of toned memorials I've kept. When you search thousands you find interesting stuff now and then. Stuff I hate to throw back into circulation.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16096 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is just cool looking....keeper!

Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05