Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Me Identify This Token

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,720Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  2:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SCGamecock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this buried in Aiken, SC. I am very curious to find out more about it. It's thickness varies from approx. 1/8" to 3/16".

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15621 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum .

It would be helpful if you upload clear and well-oriented pics.

As an example:

Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
667 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Original image cropped and rotated. I can see a colonnaded building with dome, and what might be a statue on a tall pillar in front.

Could it be an artistically altered version of this :

South Carolina State Capitol building.
Edited by Anaximander
12/19/2018 5:32 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13339 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I believe it's St Peters Basilica, in Rome, with the Egyptian obelisk in front of it:

(Pic from Wikipedia)

Which would make it a Catholic pilgrim's medal.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
16307 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SCGC, first welcome to CCF. Second, I wonder if you might be able to prepare the surface of this piece a little better. I'm hesitant to use the word clean because this is so against what we coin collectors generally preach. Perhaps a short bath in pure acetone might help. Of course, you don't want to do anything to cause the surface to become scratched (e.g. vigorous use of a toothbrush).

In this case, though, there seems to be some staining on one side of the coin which makes it very hard to decipher. When I enlarge and enhance your photo, this other side also appears to have a building on it. Perhaps @sap is correct, but I have a hard time envisioning a Catholic medal with only architectural themes.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2018  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it is more likely a token or souvenir medal of some type, cleaning it might help clear up the surface. Since I'm not a "coin collector" I don't have a problem cleaning tokens, neither does most other token collectors. Since it appears that it is also a high relief one with the assorted thickness. It could be a souvenir from the capital of SC with the buildings on both sides. I have to agree that most religious medals have at least one side dedicated to a holy figure.
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2018  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
South Carolina State Capitol building.
For what it is worth, that photo was taken before 10 July 2015.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
667 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would that be because of the flag?
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCGamecock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your expertise, and assistance. I was able to find out that the scene is that of the Capitol Bldg., White House, and The Washington Monument. However, I cannot find which item or is. I've seen similar scenes in Coin form, but something tells me this was the center of a floating keychain, or a pendant. I'm not sure of the metal, but it's roughly the diameter of a US dime, and quite heavy. Thank you all for any further assistance.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCGamecock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a gentle cleansing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20786 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the US Capital on the left, White House on the right and Washington monument in the middle.

Do you have a photo of the reverse or is it blank?
Edited by IndianGoldEagle
12/21/2018 12:34 pm
Learn More...
United States
16307 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work cleaning up this side. As @IGE notes, it would be nice to see the other side too. Also, as you look on the edge do you see an area (likely at the 12 o'clock position) where a keychain loop might have been removed? Finally, is this piece attracted to a magnet?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCGamecock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the same image on the other side, it's much more tarnished, and there does appear to be a small hole in the side at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. It looks like maybe it was some type of anchor points for a swivel, or a bracelet, etc. I haven't a magnet to test that at this moment.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20786 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a charm off a charm bracelet, loop missing.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,720Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05