Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Underweight Coin Cast?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AlRashid
It's a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. When it's no longer fun then it's time to set it aside for a bit and come at it with a new perspective.

One thing I might suggest since you are buying what to me is high-end stuff is to pay to have it authenticated by David Sear.
https://www.davidrsear.com/certification.html

He's not cheap, but if he authenticates your coin then you can be almost certain it's authentic. Also, it's hard for a seller to argue if he says it's fake.

Hang in there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1483 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2018  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buy some cheapies that are fun but won't bother you much if they turn out fake.
I agree!

Hi Alrashid, I've only been collecting ancients for about 6 years now and haven't paid more than 60 euros for any of my coins....There are so many directions, types and series that can be collected cheaply and with a lot less risk of being faked.....Enjoy!

Have a happy christmas break...Paul
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2018  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paul and Jskirwin

I agree. The reason I started with expensive coins was that I tend to enjoy silver coins specially tetradrachms much more and don't enjoy bronze coins much. Plus with silver coins, I always tested them with XRF and knew what trace elements should be there in genuine ones but with bronze coins I don't think XRF can help much. But As you said yes, collecting expensive silver coins also has the risk with it so that is why I always asked few opinions to be sure. When everyone agrees and have consensus on authenticity then I consider it but even when a non expert with some reason that makes sense argues that it could be suspicious and if his reason makes sense then I avoid the coin even if all more experts don't agree with him. I think one person is prone to mistake but when 10 people agree on something the chance of mistake is much less .

Happy christmas
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05