Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do There Appear To Be More NGC Graded Gold Coins Compared To PCGS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
297 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  8:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing my due diligence before buying my first gold coin. It seems that well over half the gold coins I look at are NGC certified. Usually the preponderance of coins are PCGS graded.
I don't want to assume without reason that people submit gold to NGC because they expect a higher grade, but the question does present itself. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One reason could be that NGC will give gold coins PL grades, whereas PCGS will not. So if a submitter thinks coins have a shot at PL, NGC would be the place to have grade them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12573 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because some of the biggest sellers of modern gold are located in Florida so a big chunk ends up there from them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basebal
Would the same hold true for classic gold? I've only been looking for pre-1933 coins. It seems like everyone who has one has it graded (they are everywhere) and most are NGC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4695 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it's because NGC's grading standards are a little more "favorable" (looser!) than PCGS's grading standards?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12573 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would the same hold true for classic gold?

That's a completely different animal for the numismatic ones which PCGS has the lead there especially PCGS CAC.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05