Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Asking Bank Tellers For Any Unusual Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 11,598Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
74 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2008  6:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince220 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anybody here ever asked a bank teller if they had any old or unusual currency (Large Dollars[not counting IKES], Commemorative Coins, Foreign Currency)? And if so, have they ever actually given you something? I would think the bank tellers would keep these coins for themselves (except for coins in rolls) unless nobody who worked in the bank cared about coins whatsoever. Thanks in advance.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2008  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennypusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I called about a dozen banks in my area asking if they have any old coins or currency, or if they come across any to give me a call. I haven't received any calls since.

But I'm sure some members here on the CCF have had better luck than me. -PP
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2008  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my bank teller knows I collect coins and sometimes they will ask me about something that came in but they are always asking because they are keeping it themselves and just want to know what it is
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2008  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheungsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, same here...there's a cute teller at one of the branches I go to, so I starting talking with her and eventually asked her if she ever sees older / unique coins come through, but then she got excited and opener her little box of stuff and showed all the "cool stuff" she's found so far...which included a Peace dollar, some mercs, some buffalos...argh....now she's not so cute anymore (atleast in my eyes...lol)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2580 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2008  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i am a teller and anything of value I find at the bank I generally keep for myself, although I do manage to get the other tellers to give me silver quarters and dimes once in a while
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19401 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2008  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have accounts at 5 different banks. I've asked many times what they do with any old or odd looking change or bills. Since there is a great turnover in tellers around here I ask frequently. Over about 20 or more years I almost always hear that all such items are usually grabbed by bank personal. At one bank there is a waiting list for any large Silver Dollars. I asked what they would do with any turned in. Basically no one on the list is ever contacted due to bank personal coming first. A problem with banks around me is you never really get to know a teller due to the turnover where you have a different teller almost every few months. It's even worse in the downtown area of Chicago where I suspect there are different tellers at banks every week. Unless you already know someone at a bank prior to getting that job, your chances of aquiring any rare or unusual coins is slim. Probably the best thing to do is just marry a bank teller. Not sure if any coins could be worth that though.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2008  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince220 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, Thanks for the advice everybody.
Pillar of the Community
United States
846 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2008  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Asking tellers is not the best idea because then they will start to look for themselves. Your best bet is going through rolls which most tellers don't have time for.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wardtom084 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I have it made. The teller calls me about every month with something she has picked out for me. The teller is my daughter !
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wardtom084 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh by the way....she called me one day and said that this lady had dropped off about 300 dollars in change (mostly cents and nickels) and she wanted to know if I want them of which I said yes. I have gone over the cents and starting to work on the nickels. You should see what I found. Wheaties galore, War Nickels of which I have not looked at and in the cents line several die cracks, one bad die chip out of the side of a cent, and several mint, red, 1955 cents.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cabomhn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried, but the problem with all of the tellers at my banks is that they are all collectors and they want all of the rarer coins for themselves.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2580 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have found that often if you ask them for something unusual they usually ask you why you want it and decide to keep it once they deduce that the coin or bill is valuable
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cabomhn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I've found a solution. Maybe if we tell the tellers (no pun intended) that certain valuable coins are just pieces of junk *cough* *cough*. Maybe they will start giving us all of those wotrthless coins. Pull a little bit of reverse phsycology on them.
Edited by cabomhn
08/03/2008 8:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem I am entertwined with......
All three of the branches to my bank in town have coin collectors WORKING AT THEM ! (now, I'm friendly with them.....but I'll never get any goodies because they take them as soon as they come in !>>>)
Edited by eaglefoot
08/03/2008 8:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2008  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince220 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are really lucky, wardtom084.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2008  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wardtom084 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea I know, just got some red seal bills from her.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 11,598Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05