Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Dirham Of Kaykhusru III

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  12:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TTerrier to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The help I received on the last coin was invaluable and I'm hoping for assistance on this one as well. This coin is a different style with a central cartouche on the side of the coin with the mint and date. I believe the centre says "al-mulk lillah" or "sovereignty belongs to God". The translations of these into English really seem to vary a lot between reference books.

The mint and date information is in the margin - I think it reads zuriba bi-madinat [mint] fi sana [date]. The only mint name I can think that might fit these letter forms is Konya but that is a guess. Comparing this coin to one in Zeno:

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=22679

This suggests the date is AH 670 but I am just comparing the images here as I cannot read that from the coin unless the last few letter forms are the diwani letter for 70 and then a really sloppy sitt mi'at.

It seems odd to me that the other parts of the coin have really nice calligraphy but the mint and date in the margin seems much sloppier.

I asked for help on this same coin on Forvm but unfortunately no responses.

Thanks for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think you're spot on. The only place we differ is that I'd rate the rest of the calligraphy as a bit on the sloppy (semi-legible) side as well.
Edited by Kushanshah
12/30/2018 02:21 am
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TTerrier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Kushanshah! I think Stephen Album agrees with you - he mentions in his checklist that the calligraphy gets progressively worse the further we get into the Seljuk dynasty.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05