Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Start Collecting Sales Tax

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  01:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shtudentt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just noticed when I bought one thing today that I was charged sales tax
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's coming everywhere. The auction houses will be doing it too this year
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10565 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  02:46 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, we should all be preparing for that. The heyday is near its end!
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1835 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most states haven't updated their laws on collecting sales tax from out of state sellers, so it will be spotty for a while. And many states exempt sales tax on coin sales (I think about 20 states currently charge tax on coin or bullion sales). It will probably be the auction houses and big companies on eBay where you will see the sales tax soon. As a small seller on eBay, it's going to be really hard to keep track of the various sales tax policies in different states to try to comply with them all.
Learn More...
United States
24894 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, just what we need another reason to stop buying from E-bay . Looks like back to the local coin shows for me. NO postage ,NO taxes ,NO waiting for delivery ,NO having to look at photos of the coins .
This is going to put the kabosh on the sellers and the buyers .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like back to the local coin shows for me. NO postage ,NO taxes ,NO waiting for delivery ,NO having to look at photos of the coins .

There's supposed to be taxes at those shows in most states
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting Texas sales tax from residents for a long time.I have a Texas business permit and am required to do that. I hate it.

If I have to keep track of 50 different states' taxes, I am done on eBay. It will be sad for me to quit after 22 years (and about 75,000 closed auctions) but no way I want that headache. Keeping track of Texas is bad enough.

Maybe eBay will figure out a way to collect (they already do that for Texas) and pay it out to the states. The workload for me would be way too time consuming.
Edited by John K
01/14/2019 8:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10565 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  01:59 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh, just what we need another reason to stop buying from E-bay .

For me, it is more a reason to stop selling on eBay. I don't mind paying sales tax when purchasing, but trying to implement sales tax collection requirements for every state and making those payments is not compatible with what very little profit I make selling on eBay.

I trust that eBay will continue to fight this, and/or implement their own system to take that burden off of small sellers. If not, they will lose a significant number of small-time sellers like myself.

I think the whole idea (tax collected based on a buyer's state [or county?] of residence) is ultimately untenable. As if our bureaucracy isn't already stupifyingly overcomplicated enough!
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
01/15/2019 02:04 am
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With their volume eBay could handle all taxes on their side without it being a burden to the seller. Could. Will? Dunno.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me, it is more a reason to stop selling on eBay. I don't mind paying sales tax when purchasing, but trying to implement sales tax collection requirements for every state and making those payments is not compatible with what very little profit I make selling on eBay.

I trust that eBay will continue to fight this, and/or implement their own system to take that burden off of small sellers. If not, they will lose a significant number of small-time sellers like myself.

As dumb as the decision was for now it really only applies to major sellers and certain states at the moment. That of course could change, but eBay will end up taking care of it. eBay has too much to lose by not implementing a system so small/smaller sellers don't have to worry about it
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but eBay will end up taking care of it. eBay has too much to lose by not implementing a system so small/smaller sellers don't have to worry about it
I agree. I am optimistic the will do the right thing. The worst case is they will after being pressured by slipping revenue, although I hope they are more forward thinking than that.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree. I am optimistic the will do the right thing. The worst case is they will after being pressured by slipping revenue, although I hope they are more forward thinking than that.

The real question is how will the courts view eBay. Most of these laws right now require 6 to 7 figures worth of business in the state for the seller to be responsible. Most sellers clearly don't get close to that if viewed individually, but if eBay is viewed as one entity like an auction house than everyone would be responsible.

Either way eBay will definitely be programing it in as even they can't be that dense to expect sellers to do it themselves.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1651 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Either way eBay will definitely be programing it in as even they can't be that dense to expect sellers to do it themselves.

Oh, yes they can. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...EFAULT_BUYER

Quote:
Depending on tax legislation where you live and where your buyer lives, sales tax, Value Added Tax (VAT), Goods and Services Tax (GST), or similar consumption tax may apply to items you sell on eBay. Whether it's included in the listing price or added at checkout depends on both the item's location and the buyer's shipping address. ... eBay provides a basic tax calculator to help sellers add sales tax to their eBay sales, however sellers will need to enter the appropriate tax rate for each state where the seller is authorized to collect tax. We can't guarantee that our basic tax calculator will meet all of your tax requirements.

They're putting the onus on the seller.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
01/16/2019 8:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

They're putting the onus on the seller.

That won't stick as that's an old lawyer statement.

The big sellers will complain the small ones have an advantage and they'll change it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed on my listings it says that "Sales tax may apply when shipping to: Minnesota , Washington ." I didn't put that in there, so ebay must be collecting the tax.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05