Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Solved: Anonymous Umayyad Fals W/ Pentagram. Ca. 760 Ad

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
100 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  2:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

This coin is part of a set I bought from a seller who claimed the coins were from the al-Andalus (Spain) period. I have some doubts about the seller's explanation as three eroded Roman coins were initially part of the set. As I just started to collect these kind of coins I have zero experience and knowledge about date/origin. The only thing I do know about this islamic coin is that it has the Star of David (EDIT: Pentagram) on it.

Is there anyone out here who can help me with ID'ing this coin?

Thanks in advance,

Kaj
Edited by MetzKaj
01/05/2019 10:31 am
Valued Member
Spain
81 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot of Al-Andalus islamic bronze coins with the Star of David. They are called felus (in Spanish, I don't know English translation)

I don't know much about this period, but maybe you can start searching with that

Regards
Valued Member
Netherlands
100 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks txabs! I will. I had no idea that such coins existed until today.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That period of Spain was Islamic and I hardly think they thought of this as a Jewish symbol, and they seem to have a long tradition with it being the seal of Solomon. Now just like the Star and Crescent was used by Greek Byzantion then the Byzantines and a whole host of others, today I think no one would think to use it for other than Islamic countries/purposes. When the Zionists decided to accept the Star it probably went completely out of favor for non others. The link below shows a ton of these stars on Islamic images.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-T...n-Candar-etc
Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/04/2019 3:15 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, your coin has a 5 pointed pentagram. That was a Christian symbol once (along with many other things) for the 5 wounds of Christ. I have seen that carved into early Constantine coins with a knife.
Valued Member
Netherlands
100 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
louisvillekyshop, great insights! Was it just as 'common' to engrave this pentagram on islamic coins as with the Star of David? Is there any way to put this coin + pentagram in some kind of timeframe/origin? Are we talking about medieval period?
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be clear, people independently carved pentagrams in some 4th century coins. You coin was struck intentionally with a pentagram. Here is a good discussion of the coin type you have: The man translates it as:

Obv: There is no God but (pentagram) Allah (palm branch)
Rev: Muhammad is the (wavy line) messenger of God

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/in...opic=28762.0

Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/04/2019 4:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To expand on the previous comments, this coin is an anonymous Umayyad fals of a type that is frequently found in Spain (al-Andalus) but attributed to a North African mint based on epigraphy. The Muslim conquest of Spain was launched from North Africa in AD 711. It is possible that some, particularly those struck on diminutive flans, are local Spanish imitations of the North African type.

Frochoso (2001), Los Feluses de al-Andalus, p. 24, III-a.

Walker (1956) A Catalogue of the Arab-Byzantine and Post Reform Umaiyad Coins, p. 217, P.116 (snippet below).

Edited by Kushanshah
01/04/2019 7:30 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
100 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! What a wonderful coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05