Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Solved: Antigonos II Gonatas Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
93 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  3:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this in an auction for 3 dollars from a respectable seller based in the Netherlands. It doesn't look like a 'Roman emperor' coin, more like a token? The seller listed it as Roman, but is it?

As I just bought it, the only information I have = its weight: 3.93 gram.

Anyone can ID this object?

Edited by MetzKaj
01/05/2019 5:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a Greek Coin (Corinthian Helmet), but I know little about them.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2587 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally don't think it Roman at all; more likely Greek. That looks a lot like Athena on the first side.

Can't figure out enough of the other side to even start searching. Not that I'm any good at said searching anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4082 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it's Macedonian, perhaps an issue of Antigonos II Gonatas, with Athena obverse and "Pan erecting trophy" reverse. I'll find some pics/links in a couple minutes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4082 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Bob L
01/05/2019 4:10 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
93 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks about right! I never saw a face until you guys told me it was Athena. I love how there are so many different types of this coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05