Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Capital Plastics 2 X 2 Holders

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  6:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have finally decided not to go with an album for my small Mercury dime collection, but to use higher end 2 x 2 holders and a box. I've looked at the Capital Plastics 2 x 2 holders and they look pretty classy, with the 3 acrylic square panels screwed down. I bought one at my LCS and tried it with the 1926-S I just purchased.

Has anyone had good luck with these holders?

I read on the Capital Plastics online catalog the following:
"If the coin opening is too small, use one of our triangular coin fitting tools to scrape a small amount of acrylic out of the inside of the opening. Please do not attempt to file or cut the opening. If the opening is too large, use a thin, narrow strip of clear Mylar or acetate as a shim when placing the coin in the opening."

Of course, the opening was too small for my dime to fit in, and I just used a jackknife to scrape around the black acrylic opening. Of course, I scraped too much plastic off and then the coin just rattled around in the holder. Then I cut some very thin strips of scotch tape and taped them along the inside rim of the opening and tried again, then my coin fit more snugly. This seems ridiculous though, right?!

I didn't like using some fabric between my fingers and the holder and pressing down on the face of the coin to get it into the hole either. I know they sell white cotton gloves at coin supply stores, presumably for just this activity. I mean once the coin is in, it can stay there for decades...I wouldn't see a reason to take it out of the holder, but seems like a little effort to get it in.

Can anyone provide some insights on how to more efficiently use these capital plastics 2 x 2 holders, or if you've found another higher end 2 x 2 that you think is superior?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29929 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you only interested in a square holder?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7653 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears overwhelmed by the fasteners, too distracting.
IMO the Lighthouse Quadrum 2x2 holders are much less so.

https://www.lighthouse.us/square-co...quadrum.html
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2795 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't use scotch tape! It will eventually deteriorate or give off gases and will damage the coin. Use mylar instead.
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree I would highly recommend taking apart that holder and removing and cleaning up the tape reside before it damages the coin.
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok good suggestions. First, yes I agree the Lighthouse 2x2 holders look ok. So is it a black foam insert that holds the coin in place? Non-rigid foam seems superior to fitting a coin into a rigid hard plastic opening that must accomodate a very precise size (ie the capital plastics holder).

For the coin's overall well being, I'll order these other holders soon but will wait to extract the 26-S until they come in, as limiting my handling of the coin an additional time may be riskier than off gasing from scotch tape to the dime rim for a week or two. I tried to shim a thin mylar strip around the dime to no avail. The scotch tape seemed a reasonable solution...but I'm not risking it. thanks!!
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1 - yes, I think the square 2x2 is what I'm leaning towards, then these can fit nicely in a box together (i.e., 2 x 2 box). Is there a non-square holder option you particularly like?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29929 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the round Air-Tite. They make a 2x2 plastic snap together holder.I am just not a fan of those Capital square screw together holders.
John1
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I can see how that look isn't for everyone. I like the sharp right angles and the thicker holder but if it is a hassle to fit the coin properly, I may use another holder. So does the round air-tite capsule then go into the air-tite 2x2 or is that just a separate option?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29929 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Separate. I am not sure of the 2x2 brand.Here is an idea of what I mean https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...nap+together
John1
Edited by John1
01/06/2019 09:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the round Air-Tite capsules and boxes you can get for them. Very snug, no chance of bouncing around.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05