Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Die Trails On Vicky Coin .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
939 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  11:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wondering if this is die trails or PMD
on a coin on e-bay ?
Thx.

"If you going to err,do it with flair . That way you'll remember and not repeat the mistake"

W.R.Robertson
R.I.P.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7359 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of those lines are visible/in both the field and the design. I'm not familiar with this effect.
Learn More...
Canada
8258 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die trails are found only on the fields (the highest point on any die) and are called such because they form off the leading edges of the incuse devices on any given die.

What you have here is a bit of a head-scratcher.... almost looks like something within the metal itself (rolling marks or really poor annealing when the strips were rolled?)
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1113 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's some sort of evidence of whatever happened because of the fact the lines seem to run directly into denticle corners, but don't run through the letters. Either something with the metal or the strike itself, but these lines wouldn't appear on the dies. Maybe a whizzing? Could be a counterfeit letters looks strange. I don't know I'm just throwing out ideas
Edited by Alan
01/09/2019 2:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's even weirder is that it is on BOTH sides, Obv & Rev, so that eliminates a strike through. Some of the lines go through the letters & some don't... but go through the leaves.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05