Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB Lincoln Wheat Cent How To Bust The MS Move

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  11:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning coin community. Entering my junior year of collecting Lincoln wheat cents, made some mistakes but thankfully none to costly along the way. Have patiently waited trying to find that bargain MS61-63 or the one that just feels right. To my chagrin all the ones (60-64) that gave me the moth to lightbulb effect were sold or listed close to or even slightly above book. There are some MS 1909 s vdb's on the block at GC that perfectly illustrate what I am encountering in my search of the marketplace. What are your thoughts on or have you paid retail for that one that pulls? Is it a fauxpas to buy one above average price in today's fast bargain driven market?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17514 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of these I'd pay near retail for.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15980 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your best bet for an important key coin is to go to one of the big coin shows. Bring a cash and visit a lot of tables!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely want to see it in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly wouldn't pay retail MS money for any of those.
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of VF and XF out there and alot of the ones I have looked at were just that take away the s vdb and its a worn Lincoln...the AU's I have looked at really start shaping up but even with CAC stickers have lacked that punch. It really is a journey looking for that solid 60+ with eye appeal and sharpness for under $1,200.00 - 1,400.00 plenty out there so am trolling at present. I have been looking for one under 15 that pleases me. Higher grades are just not possible at present and have committed to 60-63 since prices are down from just a few years back and I can afford one. I just love the King always have since I was 8. I appreciate your frankness on the matter, extra eyes and insight are very valuable to me. Out of curiosity though what am I missing on first example the 62RB? It grabs me by the horns for a 62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7554 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Out of curiosity though what am I missing on first example the 62RB? It grabs me by the horns for a 62

the horizontal marks from Liberty down the front of the coat. the lighting could also be hiding additional scratches on the bottom third of the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12395 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing I will add is that bargains are usually a bargain for a reason.
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roger on that, will post pics. when I find the right one as long as I'mánot flogged to severely. Really get a kick out of MM position #4 but surprisingly (to me anyhow) most examples I have looked at are MM's # 1 and 2. Generally speaking I get the impression there are a few grouches on the Forum when it comes to grading however still appreciate everyone's comments, its a jungle out here when your on your own. Extra eyes are a blessing. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15980 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second one almost looks like a coin I own:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin AU58?, low mintmark on that baby.
Learn More...
United States
21690 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This mint mark does not appear to be in a shape or position of any one of the four known genuine dies.

It is too low to be dies 1, 2, or 3. Too far right to be die 4.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15980 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye nss! Yes, it's a fake, I've posted it here many times over the years.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6716 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best of wishes in this quest - such is the challenge of pursuing a major key-date coin with consideration for your budget and eye appeal.

I was fortunate a few years ago to find one for myself that worked - it has been shown elsewhere on the CCF and I will not steal your thread with another appearance of the coin.

Let us know how you do.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8711 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay MS retail for any of those 3.
Pillar of the Community
United States
675 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! the fake mintmark position,had me there at first. Know enough now to be very cautious and even leery of any 09 s vdb not authenticated. At this point in my collecting experience it would be foolish of me and definitely a no no. Local pawnshop gave me phone # to a guy with one wanting to sell badly and under auction, contacted him and asked to see coin at the LCS to look at MM position. Never heard back from him. Can you believe the audacity? Being a poorboy I do. Will show my coin when I find it. Not ruling out an AU58 if its right.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05