Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beautiful Overstruck Islamic Coin Deserves An ID - Bits Of Greek/Roman?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
93 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  03:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A mind-boggling coin that was part of the Andalus lot. It's a beautiful coin, but I can't say it looks even remotely like those early islamic coins. I also haven't found it in the Umayyad-listings. Am I wrong?

Edited by MetzKaj
01/08/2019 06:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this from the same lot?
Valued Member
Netherlands
93 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, presumably all andalus, but there are some in it which are leaning more towards indian I guess? I have no clue as I can't read the inscriptions, which is a big handicap in this kind of collecting area I suppose..
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is helpful information. It is an overstrike, one coin struck over an earlier coin, which is why it looks jumbled. My suspicion is that it is Frochoso group II, a North African type struck over a coin of Tabariyya (Tiberias) in Palestine, featuring a lion. In this scenario, the coin would have been carried west with the Umayyad forces invading North Africa and then used as a "blank" to strike a local issue in North Africa. If the images are re-oriented properly, the lion is clear on one side and the 2-line North African reverse is legible on the other. There may even be yet a third type or a different undertype. There are elements I can't explain such as the wreath-like bit in front of the lion. Perhaps the lion itself is part of a Greek or Roman coin used as a blank!?

Edited by Kushanshah
01/08/2019 05:50 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
93 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing ID'ing right here! Have you ever seen this wreath-like bit on coins? Since I bought the lot I've been searching all the listings of Ummayad and (ancient) Indian coins, but I have yet to stumble on a coin that is using the wreath instead of the usual outlines and dots. A Greek/Roman undertype.. Hmmm.. Any expert on Greek / Roman coins willing to help us out here? This coin is urging me to be deciphered.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KS

Nicely done.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!! Thats real insight!...I looked at it and saw..... scribbles ...Paul

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05