Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strange Mark's On Morgans

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  10:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked these up today from the cull bin. I thought these marks were PMD but having second thoughts.

Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close ups

Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And what's going on with this one's reverse? Details are very mushy. Weight is spot on and obverse looks as it should.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The raised lines on your first two Morgans are die cracks (and a small die break in the third close up pic), which are very common on 1921 Morgans. The 1921-S looks like PMD on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9707 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with die cracks on the first two. I can't tell about the '21-S without a closeup of something in question.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of die cracks, I like those! This coin looks like it has spent most it's life in a coin bag receiving a lot of damage. Might be some double die going on but the pics/condition of the coins make it hard to see. IMHO, I'd think melt value, but that's just me. If I had the coins in my hands I might think otherwise. I might use the first one as a hole filler until I could find a nicer one, the S, I'd have to think hard about that one, but again, IMHO.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
01/10/2019 10:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8679 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are die cracks on the reverse. Very common on 1921 Morgans.

Need better pics of the '21-S to check if die cracks or PMD. Hard to tell from the current images provided.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the marks are definitely die cracks. I've never seen die cracks on my coins so this is a first for me.

Getting back to the mushy reverse on the 21s. The obverse looks legit and not messed with. The reverse does not have an obvious, I've been abused or altered look to it.

I'm thinking grease filled die?

Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thoughts on that reverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
902 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the question, exactly? There is a distracting scratch across the eagle's tummy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8004 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The flatly-struck breast is common on 1921-dated Morgans which were hubbed based on a modified and re-engraved 1878 "2nd Reverse of 1878" 7 tailfeather/parallel arrow feather reverse die.

In 1879 (for most issues) the breast feathers were modified to be sharper and more easily discernible, a change which lasted through 1904. A much smaller number of S and CC branch-mint Morgans were made using the "old" flat-breasted reverse design through 1880, to the best of my remembrance.

The other lines you are seeing are known as "die cracks" and occur when the dies used to strike the coins develop stress fractures for a variety of reasons such as improper hardening, impurities, high strike pressure, age, and wear over time. The cracks show up as RAISED lines on the surface of the coin, as opposed to post-strike damage/scratches and gouges which will be LOWER than the surface of the coin.

I would need better pictures (in natural light, no flash) to tell you more about the 21-S.

The rim damage above M in AMERICA in one of the coins you listed is post-strike damage. In between the E and R on the same coin, you can see a die chip in line with the crack, where a small piece of the die actually chipped off.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9707 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  01:08 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure, but with the additional pics, the '21-S has the appearance of having been plated (especially the reverse). I don't know about coins only being plated on one side unless they were encased. Plating would cause the "mushy" details and what appears to be an absence of original luster.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are better pics of the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some die polishing lines, which are scratches in the die that cause raised lines on the coin that appear to travel under the devices.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from the common die cracks Morgan's seem to have, I'd think the marks are typical. Don't forget these heavy, soft metal coins fell into a hopper by the thousands. Then dumped into a counting machine where they were bagged. Bags stacked(without much care) numerous times between mint and bank vault. With all that going on it's nearly impossible to find flawless examples. Those that somehow survive are priced accordingly.

That aside, you have some nice pieces. I also have to agree that at least one looks to have been polished.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05