Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tetradrachm Lysimachus - Friends, What Do You Think of This Coin?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Brazil
92 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prsferreira to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Friends, what do you think of this coin? Good? Thank you!

Valued Member
Netherlands
61 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No expert, but what's up with the 'shattered' surrounding of her leg?
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No expert, but what's up with the 'shattered' surrounding of her leg?

I'm wondering about that too. Haven't seen that before.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a copy of this exact coin. Minus some dents around the letters.
https://nomosag.com/default.aspx?pa...=0&ci=0&ru=0
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both are fake made by same fake master. I also believe the provenance of being from 1960 col is lie. I dont know nomos at all is it a legit auction house?
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well just because someone copied the coin from one that was offered by Nomos in 2016 does not mean the Nomos coin is not real. Either way, you are questioning a 50 year old auction house. This coin we are discussing is clearly fake, sadly for the original poster.

https://nomosag.com/default.aspx?page=ucAboutUs
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3999 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nomos is legit; they are in Zurich and they hold live auctions with some pretty good coins in them. That was a web auction, though. I wonder if they have all the items in hand before the auction?

I wouldn't have thought either coin was authentic from the picture alone. That double die match shows it isn't a cast, so it must be struck. Perhaps the chatter is die rust?
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ben;

I don't know about the posted coin because downloading the photo and blowing up completely I can't find encrustation in the crevices. But the Nomos coin, especially in the ear of the obverse, there is some serious encrustation from the earth that would be hard to create. The Nomos coin has so much better surfaces. Now especially that M by the race torch, a die match for imperfections but not across the whole coin. Just strange all around.
--->Just adding this to the post: The posted coin edge artifact at 4-5 o'clock. There is nothing like that in an ac search I can find. Clearly it is a strike artifact, but you would think the edge of the die would mark like that on some other coin in the hundreds of examples from an acsearch. Again strange.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/11/2019 7:30 pm
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure nomos is good if you guys say so although I personally never heard of them , however, I know for a fact that auction houses in Germany in Europe in general are plagued by fakes
Valued Member
Brazil
92 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prsferreira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you friends. Again, I learned from the comments of the group members. Thank you for your patience!
Learn More...
United States
21958 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree a fake and one fairly easy to spot.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've collected ancient coins and some moderns for over twenty years. I visit internet coin forums often to read posts but haven't been much interested in posting comments myself. Finally I took the plunge today and signed up here at Coin Community. I don't want to cause trouble but the comment by hvedo that German auction houses and Europe in general are plagued with fakes is in my opinion incorrect. I'd be open to someone pointing out research or news articles saying this. Once in a while a major auction house will withdraw a lot or sell a lot later deemed fake. This happens to both USA dealers and Europe dealers. I've purchased many coins from Europe auction houses, some from Nomos, and all offer refunds if a coin is determined to be fake. Internet sites like biddr and sixbid have a good number of European dealers. I don't think they'd last if they were plagued by fakes. Of course ebay is another matter. Numerous fake sellers are on ebay from USA and Europe so it's important to know your hobby and/or buy from well established sellers.
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richtea to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with livingwater. I've purchased from Nomos and several other UK & European auction houses with no problems.
An excellent source of information, and trustworthy auction houses is here:
https://coinsweekly.com/
20 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@livingwater I know for sure many dealers from Europe in VCoins have fakes and it is very simple just look at coins sold by French and German dealers in VCoins many look fake to me. I am not saying all but I could say 50% at least are fakes. There is one specific french dealer which I don't name but his coins in VCoins are very fabricated and wrong style/fabric/metal look and he keep posting many coins which look similar metal and die which means most likely made in same workshop. Again I don't want name or prove but personally I avoid these auction houses I only trust CNG mostly and buy most of my collection from them.
Learn More...
United States
65116 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1089 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with livingwater and richtea....

Quote:
I know for sure many dealers from Europe in VCoins have fakes and it is very simple just look at coins sold by French and German dealers in VCoins many look fake to me. I am not saying all but I could say 50% at least are fakes.

@hvedo...IMO I think your WRONG! And I must say that your- 'Everything is fake Paranoia' for me, is beginning to wear thin!...Paul
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05