Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1886-S Morgan Dollar Raw Grade Me Please

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  8:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It definitely had a cleaning at some point. But give it a grade if the photos allow it. Thx

Pillar of the Community
United States
8979 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not genuine.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many red flags for me. Size, weight?
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
01/11/2019 10:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the weight is dead on....explain the red flags so I understand. 26.7 g only goes out 1 digit
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/11/2019 10:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know that I could declare it non-genuine, but it does seem to have an odd wear distribution, and the relief seems exaggerated.

Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to find a ruler.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8979 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the weight is dead on....explain the red flags so I understand. 26.7 g only goes out 1 digit

It has the color and appearance of a counterfeit, displaying none of the color or luster of a genuine AU+ level coin, which is the level of wear it exhibits. The date and mintmark both look "off" as well.

It is a better date worth well over $100, possible $200, if genuine so it is well worth striking a silver fake of the correct size and weight.

My conclusion is thus, not genuine. A TPG would likely be needed to confirm this however. I have been wrong before but would not touch that coin with my money.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
8979 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine AU+ reverse vs subject piece.

ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be or it may just be the angle of the camera. There's no way I would give this Morgan AU. I expected more F to XF somewhere around there. But, I'll consider it may be a fake and check it out with a dealer..The weight being dead on and it lines up perfect with another morgan I have handy which isn't fake...so size matches..here's a couple photos I'm about to post and one angle of this coin which I'm not posting sort of looks like this Morgan for the showing of relief. It may just be the angle, but I'm definitely going to look into it and thank yo u for your opinions.

Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/11/2019 10:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8455 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics will help. Not convinced it's fake.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully it's just the lighting/angle. Color looks wrong to me, everything looks like it *pops* off the field too high. Obverse, hair wear looks normal but reverse, breast word down quite well but nothing else like feathers. Can't see if either *M* is there or not. Like said, need better pics, yea, like I have room to talk...LOL Hard to get a good pic of these things. (read my signature... LOL) Good luck with it, hope it's real for ya.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
01/11/2019 11:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a cartoonish fake
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I happen to have the same coin in a small group on hand that I've been working with lately, so I might as well post it for comparison.
Edited by Pauldog
01/12/2019 12:35 am
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
6294 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a modern copy
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I copied the photo of the OP's coin, and bumped up the brightness and contrast.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05