Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Small Date Lincoln Cent Identity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jlam79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I searched a roll and found a few pennies I like. I have a question about the 1982 d small date cent. If I don't have a scale does it show to be copper.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can make a scale, with a pencil and a popsicle stick.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jlam79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like a see saw? So I would put the pencil where two known coppers balance then try the 1982 d? Am I correct?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2031 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you could take a closeup pic of the left side of the steps of the memorial on the reverse. I think I see where zinc is showing through. I also think I see zinc rot bubbles in the columns.
Edited by Jim0815
01/11/2019 11:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7148 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus also - is that a BIE error die chip or a zinc bubble between the B & E?
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Completed the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 18th.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8839 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  03:53 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The overall appearance leads me to believe it is a Zincoln.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25213 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A scale on the bay does not cost all that much,and if you plan on staying in this hobby you will need one.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jlam79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I will get a scale. I did the popsicle stick scale several times. I think it is sink also. All comments are much appreciated. I learn from them. Also reading other posts help a lot. Looking closer I see what you Are seeing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2031 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't buy a scale just for this particular cent. I am almost sure it's zinc. You can do asic inch drop test and a hard surface. Simply drop the cent and tell us what you hear.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jlam79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a drop test with a known copper and then the 1982 d. I dropped them on wood and on tile. I dropped them on the face and then on the edge. Maybe there was a slight difference possibly less resonance. I couldn't tell a lot of difference. I am thinking it is zinc. I probably get a scale. I may need it again later.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05