Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NRA Token Info Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hurleygirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently inherited a silver coin collection. This collection was hoarded for the silver and not the coin itself! The collector would buy individual coins at an auction, years ago. He would buy them, bring them home and throw them in a box. 80% were in plastic with a little sales receipts stapled to it. Amongst all these I found this token. Around the rim it is stamped .999 silver and also has a serial number. I can't seem to find any info.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7611 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was probably minted by International Mint like the NRA "A Nation of Riflemen" series. They were available to Lifetime Members of the NRA. This medal might have been part of a lifetime membership package. This is only my best guess. I like it.

I can't find any info on where International Mint was or is but they also minted medals about History of America's Man in Space.
numismatist:
One who studies or collects money or substitutes thereof.
Edited by TNG
01/12/2019 12:08 am
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add millertime631 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to have that in my commemorative collection....
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add millertime631 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have been purchased as a collectible raffle ticket for a fundraiser like these
Pillar of the Community
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NRA has had a number of tokens minted in bronze, silver and limited numbers in gold. It is worth the spot price of silver plus what ever premium the local shop that is buying it is paying. You might get a little more if somebody really wants it. Or from some body on ebay that doesn't know any better and thinks it is a real collectors item. Like most collector rounds, art bars and Bradford plates and Franklin mint items they generally don bring much if at least what was payed for them. The serial number is just another selling feature not important. As few if any companies keep a record.
Learn More...
United States
65277 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hurleygirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At this time I wouldn't know what to ask for it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The spot price for one troy ounce of silver at closing was in the area of $15.60 with what ever the pawn shop or coin shop is currently giving to buy silver. They probably won't be much over a couple dollars in addition to the spot, won't give you anything for subject content. You can ask anything you think you could get for it, but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Edited by Circus
01/13/2019 6:29 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hurleygirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be kind enough to give me a ballpark figure on what a collector, like yourself, might pay!?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What the local coin shop is selling generic silver rounds for currently is $19.00 to $20.00. matter a fact I am posting an NRA pewter token in the bulk thread this morning. It was in the last bulk buy, It had$2.00 price on the 2x2 before it ended up in the bulk bag with 3/4 of a lb of assorted tokens. The generic silver rounds can be bought for less than a dollar premium over the spot price, when you buy them from one of the PM bullion dealers.
Again with tokens rounds,art bars, and medals they are worth only what somebody is willing to pay for it. The desire to own is the arbitrator of value .
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hurleygirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information. I'll talk to my husband and I'll let you know when/if we decide to sell it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be interested in it, your best bet would be a local to you pawn shop of coin shop tht buys silver and gold. I would stay away form the stores that just buy gold and silver as you won't get a good price there You can either google silver spot price on the day day you are going to sell it to find out what it worth. as the spot price changes hourly some days.
Learn More...
United States
65277 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll talk to my husband and I'll let you know when/if we decide to sell it
Please do remember our Buy/Sell/Trade Rules.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05