Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959-D Jefferson Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 402Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  06:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add briarmentrout to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this really clean '59 at work today... seems to have a TON of die scratches on the reverse... As you all know I'm terrible at identifying DDO/DDR's so I'm here asking for you're opinions.. as always, thank you for all your help

Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it might be lds ,but hard to tell you need a little closer pics . if you go to https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/ there are some for you to compare to . good luck and happy hunting
Pillar of the Community
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing that I see might be a little MD and circulation wear.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheJman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably Die Deterioration or polishing with wire brush.
"What you are seeing is something the mint called "stoning" of the dies. Sometimes to remove clashmarks they would use an emory stick with coarse abrasives to scour out the marks. Now ideally this would be followed with finer abrasives and eventually polishing with a circular lap to remove all the scratches left by the coarse abrasives. (Polishing out heavy clashmarks with the fine polishing lap would that forever.) Well that didn't always happen, maybe they forgot or were pressed for production and the coarsely abraded dies were put back into service. We call all of these marks coarse, fine, or almost invisible, die polish lines. Although in the early stages they really aren't "polishing"."
- http://goccf.com/t/269458
Edited by TheJman
02/03/2019 08:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34290 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Jim.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4057 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die wear and MD. Nice pictures though!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48932 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All in, probably just a spender.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45168 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was cleaned before you got it. Note around the mint mark, the dark grit on that area? Those shows the coin was cleaned. So the fields are not original.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05