Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Spanish Shipwreck Shield Designcoin - Where Do I Start The Id?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  6:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add localcanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey Guys!

I've got this 14K mounted Spanish Coin but I don't know how to start the ID process. It's got fairly visible marks but I'm not sure how to read them or determine the assayer or the year or anything really. I'd like to find out whatever I can, just to have on record. It's a special little piece to me, whether there's actual value or not.

Can anyone point out some of the visible identifying characteristics? I've looked at some charts and all the coins seem to look the same to me.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2981 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Maybe you'll get responses at half time or after the game

This is not my area of expertise, but you can start with the I to the right of the shield indicating it's a 1 real coin. Maybe something like this one, though with the nice detail you've got on it, someone should be able to get a better ID
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32165.html
Edited by tdziemia
02/03/2019 8:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm late to arrive here but I was going to point you towards Philip II of Spain 1556-1598.
Valued Member
Spain
103 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Albert

1 Real Sevilla mint, assayer Melchor Damian de Roxas. This coin is dated between 1566 and 1590, on those years the reales did not wear any date, so is not possible to be more accurate. Similar to this one:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5119658
Valued Member
Spain
103 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See this link to more information. It's in Spanish, but with Google Translate I guess there is no problem with that :)

https://siemprenosquedaras.wixsite....edad-moderna

Regards
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add localcanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! You guys are amazing! Thanks!
I spent all day yesterday combing through photos and markings!

It makes sense that the S is Sevilla. I didn't find a New World Mint or Assayer that matched the worn markings that I saw.

Does anyone see any evidence of shipwreck aging on this coin? I'm not sure what that looks like? Maybe tiny pits?

It's probably hard to tell nuances without examining it in person, but is this coin in good condition? Does it have any value? What is a guess at the Grade? Looking at eBay, maybe it's worth $100? Is that somewhat correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know zero to help anymore.
I just try to point towards a country, ruler or date range to ID a coin.
You can compare your coin to shipwreck coins found at Sedwick Coins.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The genuine ones all come with some kind of certificate of authenticity. It sounds like you don't have one so that's not a good sign. Take a look at Mel Fisher's site where they sell similar looking things and make sure you look at both the authentic and re-creation items.

You haven't told us how you got it or what you paid for it. That alone is a pretty good gauge on how authentic it is.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add localcanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know that feeling that you get when you come home from a Mexican Market with a Coconut Pirate Head? Just blissfully happy and enjoying your new find. Then one of your friends who lives in Mexico says "How much did you pay for that?" And you, pretty pleased with yourself, say "$15!" And then your buddy proceeds to tell you that you shouldn't have paid more than $5 and they have nicer ones at a different market.

I purchased this coin from an eBay seller named piratecoin. The seller manufactures his own replica jewelry. His name is Edwin Gonzalez and his company is Crisol Jewelry. He listed this coin, already mounted in gold, without a certificate of authenticity. He stood behind its authenticity (as opposed to his replicas), but was unsure of its history. He had got it from a friend who deals in Coins.

When I bought it in November 2017, I knew virtually nothing. I wasn't buying it for a coin collection, but as an accessory that had history, and a bit of magic and lore. Now that I'm learning more about shipwrecks and some of the Spanish New World history, I wanted to find out where the coin could have actually come from. The coin is very special to me, and I just don't want to devalue it in my own mind. I paid $500 for the coin, mounted in gold. The eBay seller estimated that the coin itself could be worth $400 without the bezel, which may or may not be accurate.

The description of the coin was 'Grade 1 Colonial Era Authentic Spanish Pirate Coin With Custom 14k Gold Bezel'.

Thanks, Guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apart from Sedwick Coins that I already mentioned, Krause has a coin catalog I often use titled Spain, Portugal and the New World.
My previous reply to help ID your coin came from page 8 of that catalog.
The initial catalog pages cover an article titled The Colonial Coinage of Spanish America written by Daniel Frank Sedwick.
Valued Member
Spain
103 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin seems authentic, but the economic value the seller told you ($400) is not accurate at all. If you divide by 10, you will be closer to its real price.

Thats economic value, sentimental value might be higher :)

Regards!
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add localcanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is Sedwick a good place to purchase future coins?

That name keeps coming up. How does one determine a fair price for something as varied as a wreck Coin? It seems like the Mel Fisher site is expensive as they're still trying to fund more salvage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How does one determine a fair price for something as varied as a wreck Coin?

Always check previous auction results. Dan Sedwick runs several auctions per year and much of what he has are shipwreck coins.

You are one of many potential coin collectors that seem drawn to the hobby because of a fascination with shipwreck treasure -- I was one, too. But consider that most seasoned collectors don't think that saltwater damaged coins are of "collectible grade". These same coins are almost always available to collect in "undamaged" condition -- some are in uncirculated state. I hope you will explore the broader field of numismatics and come to enjoy is as we do.
Edited by jgenn
02/06/2019 10:18 pm
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2019  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add localcanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jgenn, That's so true! The fascination with me has definitely started with diving wrecks and bringing home artifacts of adventure that range far beyond a tourist tee shirt or fridge magnet. It's so true though, I love the story, the worn marks and the authentic life lived. Thanks for the inspiration to keep it open to a wider range. I really appreciate those thoughtful words. :)
Valued Member
Spain
103 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2019  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't help you here, I'm not really into shipwreck coins :(. As jgenn said, I prefer undamaged coins.

But if you like them, just take a look on some auction aggregator and try to find pieces that you like. Here you can see hammer prices for Sedwick's last 4 years auctions, but there is more options to buy them!

https://www.sixbid.com/index.html?v...r_filter=108
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05