Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 $100 War Bond - Worth Keeping?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
800 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  10:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this war bond and six others that are $25 each. I don't know the individual that purchased the bond so probably can't just cash it in. Any collector value? I am more of a coin guru and really have very little interest in bonds. Any info is appreciated

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there is definitely collector value in these. I'm not an expert on them, but I believe this large format type is one of the better ones. It might actually bring more than face value. I've seen similar $25 bonds retailing for $60 or more. If you could post some pics of a $25 that would be helpful.

ADDENDUM: Here are a couple recent sales:

$100 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-U-S-WA...047675.l2557

$25 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-WAR-SA...047675.l2557
Edited by GregAlex
02/09/2019 03:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
800 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were actually eight of the $25 bonds in the pouch... here are the pictures. Any info is appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, I would take to my bank and see what they say. If no help, then write to the US Treasury. I doubt anyone on this forum would know the answer, but who knows?
Learn More...
United States
78463 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I was able to dig up trying to research this, if you don't know the people named on the bond, you'd probably have a hard time cashing it. I'd treat them as collectibles as they are -- they'd look great in a proper frame!
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, I think you will get a good bit more for these as collectibles than the face value of the bonds. Also the leather pouch for War Bonds will have some collector value, too. I haven't seen one of those before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4001 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
800 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it were me, I would take to my bank and see what they say. If no help, then write to the US Treasury. I doubt anyone on this forum would know the answer, but who knows?
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. Please use them in the future. ***

I wrote a book on the subject, so someone on the board does know the answer.

They are collectible. Prices vary based on issuing agent, state of issue, etc. These are fairly run-of-the-mill varieties that you have. The $100.00 will fetch the most, anywhere from $50.00-125.00. The best of the $25.00 are the consecutive pair. The one ending on 0000 is also nice. Of the 1800 or so bonds I have in my census none of them end in that many zeroes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
800 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks lettow, is the book you wrote available for purchase somewhere?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05