Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd Question About Coin Capsules

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1559 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  11:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first question is...
Does anyone know if there is a coin capsule that will fit a Canada quarter from the millennium commemorative sets that is already in a capsule?
(To be clear, I'd like the coin encased in a capsule, which is in a second capsule)
My second question is...
If the answer to question 1 is yes, Does anyone know where they can purchased? I'd like to get my hands on 24 of them.

I don't think I'll have to hard of a time finding one the right diameter, but it'd have to be fairly thick.
Perhaps there is a capsule similar to those used for the glass creatures series, concaved coins, or other coin with embellishments that might work?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16020 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would reason that the idea of a capsule in a capsule is a
'belts and braces' approach.

I have never seen a thick capsule of any design, which would be capable of storing another capsule inside it.

A single screw sealed capsule in my opinion is better than a slab, because if it is positively screw sealed shut, and provides a semi air tight seal. Empty ex Royal Mint screw capsules of a range of sizes, are readily available from my local coin dealer.

I have bought quite a few screw sealed ex Royal Mint coin capsules of a range of sizes, and keep some coins in them that are valued into the $thousands, such as a gold Coronation commemorative 1937 British 5 sovereign coin of George V1.
I buy the capsules individually as needed, for 50 Cents each.
Edited by sel_69l
02/10/2019 12:09 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12596 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A single screw sealed capsule in my opinion is better than a slab, because if it is positively screw sealed shut, and provides a semi air tight seal.

TPG slabs do the same thing, they're sealed. But yes a capsule is more air tight than the snap together to it yourself home slabs
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1559 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of the second capsule is to protect the first, not the coin.
I'd like to use the 12 quarters from the 1999 set and the 12 from the 2000 set to make a checkers game that will be given to and used by 2 children. I wanted to put a coloured see though film such as those used in theatrical lighting between the 2 capsules to identify the opposing players pieces, while still making the coins visible.
I'm hoping that when the 2 children grow up, and no longer live together, they can open the outer capsules, and return the original undamaged capsules/coins to the RCM issued boxes. They can then each take their still mint condition coins with them in original packaging without as so much as a scratch on the capsules. Perhaps wishing thinking since they literally will be played with.
I think it may be the only way to get them to ever look at them. They are not big into coins
Edited by Redzapsid
02/10/2019 12:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11932 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't . putting them into a capsule
now .. for checkers.
Then new capsules later .. work?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1559 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not without having the coloured film directly touching the coins
Edited by Redzapsid
02/10/2019 01:11 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10222 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  03:36 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an interesting proposition, but I doubt being able to find capsules that will fit encapsulated coins because of the thickness. I hope something comes to light, though.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16020 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the Mints around the World encase their top quality single proof coins in a single capsule, you can't go too wrong with that level of protection.

Even million dollar slabbed coins encased in a single layer of protection, are safe enough.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3536 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  07:58 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw Redzapsid.Congratulations on 1500 posts.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm hoping that when the 2 children grow up, and no longer live together, they can open the outer capsules, and return the original undamaged capsules/coins to the RCM issued boxes.

My guess is that this will never happen. The coins will always be associated with the gaming set, and likely remain that way well after they've grown, maybe even passed down. If you want original coin sets for them, I suggest getting additional sets.

If you really want to try this, however, look outside coins. Remember pogs? Something that fits them may work.
Edited by bzookaj
02/10/2019 09:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1559 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In order for it to be passed down, one of the 2 kids would have to give up their pieces, and a couple Oz of silver.
Bazookaj,
I don't want to invest any more money into this idea by making a second set. I simply want to make the best of these trinkets that would otherwise sit in a box somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1559 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chafemasterj,

Thanks, I hadn't even noticed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10222 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't want to invest any more money into this idea by making a second set. I simply want to make the best of these trinkets that would otherwise sit in a box somewhere.

Then leave them as is. The coins are safe and I don't see any need to protect the capsules as if they are special. Replacements can be purchased if need be.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05