Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Could You Help Me To Identify This Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  05:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Boxeramba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Firstly I would like to apologise for my complete lack of knowledge. I have inherited my late dads small coin collection and have come across a coin that I just don't seem able to identify and would be very grateful if any one could please help.

I have attached a couple of images which I hope will be clear enough.

The coin weighs 6 grams and is 3cm wide.

I truly appreciate any assistance that you can give me and thank you in advance.

Boxeramba.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14829 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
James V1 shilling.
Quite a nice example, but looses value, because it has been clipped.
Edited by sel_69l
02/10/2019 06:25 am
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boxeramba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for your very quick response. Would you happen to know what the coin would be made of?
Again many thanks

Boxeramba
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  08:09 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25736 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And to CCF. What are you using to take pics?,photos are real nice. You should crop photos before posting though.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boxeramba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Chafemasterj for the link I will certainly take a look at this.

John1 the pictures were taken with the iPad Pro. Sorry I am not very technologically minded, Infact I would go as far a saying I live in the dark ages when it comes to computers. &

I am trying to find the age of the coin. Only then to realise that there are different Bust and I am trying to match it up with the correct one. Easier said than done as the detail is so very difficult to see.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
245 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
James I silver shilling.
The coinage issues of this reign come in three stages and the portrait style of your coin identifies it as 'third coinage' which means it was struck between 1619 and 1625. It's difficult to see the mintmark clearly in these photos (the mintmark appears on each side of the coin, in the legend, at 12 o'clock), but I'm pretty sure it is either a Lis or a Trefoil. The Lis mark was used between 1623 and 1624, the Trefoil in 1624 only.
The ID number for your coin in the Spink catalogue of English coinage is 2668.
It hasn't been clipped very much and, compared with a lot of those which turn up, the condition isn't too bad either. I'd estimate a value of around 75-95, on a good day maybe a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Hogarth
02/10/2019 4:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16053 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@boxerama - as you live in the UK you might find this site helpful:-

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pi...nesh.html#j2
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boxeramba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hogarth, thank you so much for all that information! I have to say that I was pulling my hair out trying to match the coin with the correct bust and date.

IndianGoldEagle, thank you and yikes to think that this coin was seconds from being thrown in the bin as my mum thought it was a bit of old tat#128556;and they say that ignorance is bliss....Mmmm.

Aiglet7, Thanks for the link I will go there in a minute.

I am ashamed to say that when I first came across this coin I had very little interest. Now however I find myself fascinated. I never imagined it would be 400 years old! Silly I know but it gave me goosebumps to think of the history behind it,the many hands it has passed through and if it could talk the stories it would tell. I have found myself becoming very attached....not something I expected &

Thank you all so very much for all your help.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05