Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Do When Grading Jefferson's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4194 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  4:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When you grade a Jefferson do you use both sides equally to grade or do you use more of the obverse side than the reverse.

Going by PCGS I can get the obv. right but the rev. will be a few grades higher just about all the time.

OR do you go by what the Red Book is saying?
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Edited by mcshilling
02/10/2019 4:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3614 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I average the sides. Coins wear near evenly on both sides, so grade differences between obverse and reverse are almost always due to the strike or post-mint damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9976 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Jefferson's I look for wear on the high areas of hair and face for obverse and Monticello building and steps on reverse .
I see a big one on the horizon , and it's getting bigger . All hands stand by . Getting real close .

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4194 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input guys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32182 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High points of cheek and Monticello are equally important.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a few exceptions such as State/ATB quarters the obverse is weighted more heavily in the final grade.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4194 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys I have posted a Jefferson to see if I'm getting it right.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purchase some cheap, already slabbed nickels. Until you actually hold a graded nickel in your hand and look at it under magnification, you'll be better able to grade your own coins. I see people dumping their lower graded coins for way less than the cost of grading and wondered why. Now that I have bombed on several of my submittals to PCGS, I was about to dump several of my own duds on eBay for cheap just to rid myself of these useless planchets... However, then I discovered its nice to have several grade levels for personal reference and I do look at them often.

I found that those printed photo grading guides will get you close but once you start talking about MS65 and up, you really need to see it up close to appreciate what makes up those higher grades. Also, PCGS has some decent videos on what goes into grading which includes more than just wear, scuffs, or misc marks so check out their grading videos.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05