Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reales 1765 And 1747 Mexico Mint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Spain
4 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Plata española to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. I am interested in XVIII century spanish silver coins. I wanted to share some pictures of what I think are 2 forgery 8 reales coins from 1765 and 1747. The 1747 one I am quite sure it is a forgery, I would be surprised if somebody thinks its genuine. The other one 1765 I am not so convinced, but I think it is also a forgery, a better one. Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Plata española
02/11/2019 12:46 pm
Spain
4 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plata española to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to mention, 1747 coin weights 27,04g.
1765 coin 27,00g.

Edited by Plata española
02/11/2019 6:24 pm
Valued Member
Spain
65 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, none of them is genuine. Those rims are terrible, and wear makes no sense, edges are wasted and reliefs and fields are "perfect". I'm sorry. I hope they weren't expensive for you.

--

Creo que ninguna de los dos son buenas, las gráfilas cantan mucho. El desgaste tampoco tiene sentido, esos campos y relieves tan limpios, junto con el canto super desgastado... parecen las dos salidas del mismo taller. Lo siento, espero que no te costasen muy caras
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16736 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I have learned from swamperbob to check the edges first and both of these appear to be counterfeit.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, the dentils is all you need to look at... they are HORRIBLE/nonexistent with multiple seams visible.

These coins are obviously not struck and are of the Chinese cast junk variety.

Compare your 1747 example to this one and the difference become clearly visible.

Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Spain
4 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plata española to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your comments! It confirms what I suspected.

The 1747 is very obvious.

The 1765 weights actually 26,79g. and 38,3mm. diameter.
I want to think that the seller thought they were originals. They were not cheap, but it will be no problem to return them.
Valued Member
Spain
65 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see he is Spanish, so I will translate my answer to Spanish, English is not our mother language, and I think he will understand me better. If there is any problem with it, please edit my post :)

It is so dangerous to buy a pillar dollar outside well reputated shops. On eBay threre are more fakes than authentic ones, and the authenitcs are (almost) all of them reselled from auctions. In my opinion, is worthy to pay a bit more, but buy them on an auction, almost all spanish auctions houses gives you lifetime guarantee of authenticity and coins are authenicated by a proffesional. You can search on Aureo&Calicó, Cayón or Soler y Llach, with a bit of pacience, is not difficult to find some of them really cheap.

---

Los columnarios son unas monedas muy peligrosas. En eBay hay más falsos que buenos... y los buenos son (casi) todos revendidos de subastas. En mi opinión merece la pena gastarse un poquito más de pasta y pillarlos en una casa de subastas, que te dan garantía de por vida, los autentifican ellos y tienes una factura de compra, que arriesgarse a comprarlos en cualquier sitio. Mira las subastas de Áureo & Calicó, Cayón o Soler y Llach, todos los meses tienes muchos a la venta. Con un poco de paciencia se consiguen a muy buenos precios.

Saludos!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16736 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From another thread which applies to these.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
txabs - you are exactly correct. I love hunting for coins in Spanish auctions and have purchased from each of the ones you mentioned multiple times with great success, I would also add vico to the list. There are very reasonable prices at times but one needs to be careful, most of the coins sold are problem coins (cleaned, polished, tooled, etc).

I have a few duros I purchased from a recent Calico auction which I'll share in the crown thread once I get them - I know you're a fellow collector.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Spain
4 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plata española to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Txabs and everyone, thank you for the information, this is great information. The arc picture also very useful.

I upload here some pics of the 1765 coin in detail. Also the picture of a book, that can be maybe interesting for you. It is a catalog of forgery spanish coins.

Edited by Plata española
02/13/2019 2:48 pm
Valued Member
Spain
65 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
txabs - you are exactly correct. I love hunting for coins in Spanish auctions and have purchased from each of the ones you mentioned multiple times with great success, I would also add vico to the list. There are very reasonable prices at times but one needs to be careful, most of the coins sold are problem coins (cleaned, polished, tooled, etc).

Sure, there is a few more companies which are high reputation, Jesus Vico, Tauler&Fau or Ibercoin are also good choices. I didn't mention Vico because they are a bit more specialiced on antique coins, and their starting prices on most modern coins are a bit high... but they are so serious too. Of course some of the coins are problem coins, but all of auction houses give you the right to return the items if once you get it at home, you don't like it, or have any issued not mentioned on description. This feature makes you buy with total confidence.

Waiting to see that Aureo duros :).

Pillar of the Community
United States
4818 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is nice to see that the clues I use are starting to catch on with other collectors.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05