Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Navy Keel Laying Ceremony Gold Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
296 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  12:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Here we have a gold medal unlike any that I have ever seen before. The medal was issued (I assume) at the Keel Laying Ceremony for the nuclear submarine USS Baton Rouge. The medal is 14 k gold, 31.6 mm in diameter and weighs 15.06 grams. It has a plain edge and a small loop. The design in both sides is incuse. Obverse has a naval trident through a gear wheel with the letters "N N" on the prongs. The reverse is inscribed " USS BATON ROUGE SSN 689 KEEL LAID NOVEMBER 18, 1972 NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING AUTHENTICATED BY MRS. F. EDWARD HEBERT". The sub was launched April 26, 1975. It collided with the Soviet submarine "Kostroma" Feb. 11, 1992 damaging both ships in international waters and was decommissioned in 1994. Mrs. Hebert was the wife of Louisiana Congressman Felix Edward Hebert who served from 1941-1977 and died in 1979. I have seen similar ship launching souvenirs in aluminum covered cardboard but never one in gold. Being in gold makes me think that this piece may have been given to Mrs. Hebert.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4099 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call it a medal but would refer to it as an engraved token (looks almost like a love token).

Medals are usually die struck. This was obviously engraved.

Might be worth something to someone that served on the ship.

Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:02 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a cool piece of naval history.
Thanks for sharing.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the gear is the insignia of a navy engineman diesel and gas engines along with AC and refrigeration equipment. The NN interwoven with the trident are probably what we short timers in the navy would call a lifer in the sub service. 14K makes me thing of them having it made either for him self of wife /girlfriend as a pendant The ships page might have a crew list and you might find somebody with the double N initials Just my thoughts as I watch the ice forming on the wet snow outside.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"N N" stands for Nuclear Navy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok then It was made by a nuclear navy engineman, I was a tin can sailor on a WWII age ship USS Rogers DD876
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. From Westernsky's comments I think we could start another topic somewhere else to define the terms token and medal.
Learn More...
United States
66551 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05