Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Didn't Realize The 10 Year Rule NGC Has... Just Passing Along In Case...

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3473 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  2:34 pm Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just thought I'd pass it along in case some of us weren't aware. I was looking up a coin and decided to read the fine print.

Quote:
Copper Coins Notice: Coins made of copper, bronze, brass or are copper-plated can change over time. Accordingly, with regard to copper, bronze, brass or copper-plated coins graded by NGC, the grade portion will no longer apply after the 10 year anniversary of their date of encapsulation by NGC. This coin was encapsulated on 2/12/2008 and the grade guarantee will expire on 2/12/2018. If the grade guarantee has not expired, it may be extended by submitting the coin under NGC's ReHolder service tier. If the grade guarantee has expired, the coin will be treated as a raw (ungraded) submission if resubmitted to NGC.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41252 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was completely unaware of that, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had never seen this either. I would guess it makes sense for color designations.
Learn More...
United States
77114 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chafemasterj,

I was unaware of this too, Thanks for posting it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS has cancelled all guarantees on copper color designations as well.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15804 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They've changed it. It used to only apply to the color designation, now the entire grade expires.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15871 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a problem for me; none of my 4,000 or so coins are TPGraded. I have about 200 U.S. coins in all metals.
Some of more valuable coins are screw seal encapsulated.
Some of my gold proof coins were permanently hermetically sealed at the Mint.

At least, I don't have to worry about re submitting any of them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They've changed it. It used to only apply to the color designation, now the entire grade expires.

@ Conder101: PCGS copper grades expire now too? How long do they last?
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12452 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ Conder101: PCGS copper grades expire now too? How long do they last?

He was talking about the NGC one changing. PCGS doesn't guarantee the color or spotting for copper coins while NGC the whole grade expires on several different metal types

"IMPORTANT: Because the color and surfaces of copper coins can change due to environmental factors, including weather and improper storage, PCGS does not guarantee against changes in the color of copper coins, or against copper spotting subsequent to grading and encapsulation by PCGS."

That quote is from their guarantee.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18542 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never knew that but makes no difference to me. I break out any coins I buy in a slab and put in an Album. I have no slabbed coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have many NGC graded coins, wonder if that would apply to silver coins as well and even gold coins for that matter. Shows me one thing money talks and BS walks. Starting to think all this certification is nothing but a racket. Wow
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12452 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I have many NGC graded coins, wonder if that would apply to silver coins as well and even gold coins for that matter.

It clearly states what it applies too.

Quote:
Starting to think all this certification is nothing but a racket.

It isn't for first tier grading companies
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know what it states but silver and gold do change if the environmental conditions are right.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12452 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you know what it states but want to start rumors?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, a copper coin in a RD holder that has brown spots on it isn't going to get RD money, so I think that this is mostly academic unless someone is buying a coin sight unseen. Now a good question would be if CAC has an expiration since I think they buy CAC coins sight unseen, right?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05