Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With The Value Of These Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 868Next Topic  

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  11:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sunsets59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If this isn't the right forum to post this, I apologize.

My dad recently passed away. My brother and I need help with the value of these coins.

1985 China Gold Set 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz, 1/20 oz
The Department of the Treasury 1789 Mark Twain 1981
Commemorative Arts Series (2)
United States Mountain Rushmore Anniversary Coins 1991
US Mint Columbus Quincentenary Coins 1992
US Mint 1992 Olympic Coins
The Department of the Treasury Willa Cather 1789
US Constitution Coins Silver Dollar and Gold 5 Dollars
American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins Proof Set
Elizabeth II 50 Dollars Gold Coin 1985
Liberty 1911
Liberty 1905
1899 ?

Edited by sunsets59
02/13/2019 11:28 am
Valued Member
Canada
314 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post some pics, condition is everything. Also, most of that stuff is modern, and doesn't belong in the Classic and Colonial coins section.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1339 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry for your loss....sounds like valuable coins, think I would get a copy of Numismatic News or Coin World, ect. and look at retail values, also, look at e-bay, Heritage Auction for recent realized values..knowing that a dealer has to make a profit also...get an idea from them....IMHO
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss.
That many, different coins/years, I would find a reputable coin shop that does appraisals, they can grade/value each coin. OR, take very good pictures and post each one in it's own thread here. The latter would take a few days. Personally, unless you or your brother intend to get into coin collecting, I would just have them appraised if I needed it in a hurry. After that, if selling, you can put them in the classified area. You could probably sell them to a reputable coin dealer but my experience, you won't get maybe 50% value. I've been offered less here for nice coins so I just hang on to them. Gold/silver coins, worth current melt value for a start. Goes up/down from there depending on desirability/grade/condition. IMHO
Edited by NDBirdman
02/13/2019 12:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
95896 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

We are sorry for your loss.

You have a mixture, so the post was moved to the Main forum for general attention. However, you may want to create individual posts with photos an place them in the appropriate forum based on what the coin is.

Uploading Photos

Free Image Optimizer
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sunsets59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the coins right now. All I have to go on are the pictures that my brother took and e-mailed me. My dad, brother, and I live in different states. I know condition is everything, and that is what is making it hard for me. I don't know anything about coins, and I have no interest in them. I have checked prices on eBay, but I don't know if the coins would be considered the same condition as my dad's. I can upload the pics, but I don't know which forum(s) to post them in. A few days ago I uploaded them to google photos, but I can't post the link here.

Learn More...
United States
95896 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can upload the pics, but I don't know which forum(s) to post them in
It depends on the coin. US modern, US classic, Canada, World (for China). Do not worry if you get it wrong, we can move them around as necessary.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3310 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your 1985 Elizabeth 50$ Canada gold coin is going to be 1 ounce, and worth spot price of gold.any good dealer will pay spot price, and sell it for spot plus 30-50$..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16225 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

We are sorry for your loss.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10831 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very sorry for your loss, sunsets59.

From all the posts/photos I've seen of yours, the U.S. Commemorative-type coins appear to be in great shape; stored well. If they include all the original packaging (and I suspect if your father was somewhat of a collector, they do), it is my opinion that you can safely use ebay as your pricing gauge. Make sure to filter by "sold" listings to see what they're actually selling for.

Good luck.
Edited by CelticKnot
02/14/2019 11:02 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 868Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05