Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Foreign Coin Identification Guide Recommendations.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  7:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a bag of foreign coins that I am having trouble identifying. Is there an internet guide or a book I should get.

TIA

Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krause world coin catalog, I think is the main world catalog, or you can try NGC Site, or Numista Site, or you can post them here and let others find out what they are for you. It up to you what you go for, Good luck in finding them. :)
Swap list : http://goccf.com/t/334449
Free coins for (post 500)competition
http://goccf.com/t/350686&whichpage=3
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you can post them here and let others find out what they are for you.

I will do that as the last resort, I need to figure these out myself so I can learn more about them.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rayder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I asked some questions here and then ended up buys the Krause Standard Catalog of world coins. I'll probably still have questions but at least I can do the basics for myself.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30004 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4009 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Krause world coins books. The online sites are also very useful if you do not want to purchase the books.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Info... I went to a used book site I use and picked up the Krause books, none of these coins are newer than 2008 and I am not interested in value right now, so the used books will work just fine for me. Besides I got both books for less than a 1922-D wheat in VG condition. I will use John1's suggestion for online IDing but I figured what the heck, it wouldn't hurt to have the books on hand....
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogs arrived today, both are in excellent condition. Both are from library's. The 1901 to 2000 is the 2017 release, the 2001 to date is the 2015 release. Once again guys, thanks for the recommendation. Once I am done moving snow this weekend, I know what I'll be doing...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5722 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista is my personal favorite go-to, provided you can figure out which country the coin is from. NGC is nice in that it has price info, bit IMO the interface is too cumbersome to use for mass-identification.

Your typical bucket o' coins won't have more than 50-75 different countries in it, the vast majority of which should be inscribed in Latin alphabet - type exactly what you see on the coin and Google will lead you right. You'll soon get the hang of identifying almost everything at least by country.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2272 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Numista is my personal favorite go-to, provided you can figure out which country the coin is from

Country of origin not needed for numista, the advanced search needs only 2 or 3 details (more is obviously better) to narrow the field substantially.

Learn More...
Australia
13178 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another helpful tool is Google - simply type in some text which you see on the coin, and it should tell you where it's from. Even if the script isn't using the Latin alphabet, if you "get close", Google should still be of help - you wouldn't be the first person to read the denomination on a Greek coin as "APAXMAI", for example, even if the actual Greek lettering is "drachmai".

Doesn't help with East Asian coins, of course, though with those, you've really only got a few options to search (China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan). Arabic-speaking countries usually have the name in either English or French as well as Arabic, again with just a few exceptions I can think of (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran)

If you go for the physical book Krause catalogue (either buying a copy or borrowing from a local library), you should find a handy "instant identifier" reference table in the front pages which shows pictures of many symbols that appear on non-English-language coins, so you can easily match the pictures with the symbols you see on your coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05