Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just What Constitutes "Cleaning" Of A Coin?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2019  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do clean coins but first experiment on several of the same denomination and date which are not my intended keepers. If you kill those, no big deal as they were experimental. Get yourself a 5x and perhaps 10x loupe so that you can look at the results under magnification. When you feel you got the technique right for your keeper, proceed with caution. I found that even with pennies, there is a difference between years in what metals where used by the mint, I have gotten mixed results. Especially between a US 1 penny, versus nickel, versus dimes and quarters, major difference primarily due to hardness of the metal types.

For the record, I'll admit that I killed a few keepers.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rayder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading all that I can find on this topic I am now just lightly restoring what I have. Step1 h2o soak over night followed by debris removal with Q tip. 2nd step overnight in olive oil, remove debris with q tip. 3rd step 10 minute acetone dip. Is there more I can do without damaging said coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
783 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're gonna have to post some pictures to get an accurate response to your question and fill in some more details, like what is the coin, what is all this "debris" you are removing from it, and what is your goal with the coin. Best to start a new topic to get specific responses about your coin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05