Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My New System-3 Photography Setup From Macrocoins.com

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 3,580Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34103 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darth Morgan,
Very nice photos. And even when I click on it to see the larger view,it still looks great.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, I now have the ability to take close-up shots of the obverse and reverse and insert them into the original slab image for a much improved image.

Quote:
Here's another example showing a direct, side-by-side comparison of a slab image:
Fantastic examples!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, indeed. Another advantage of this system is the ability to composite a glamour shot of a slabbed coin. Look at this 2017-S EU Kennedy half dollar graded SP70 by PCGS. This image was originally taken with my iPhone. The slab itself looks great, but the coin suffers from harsh noise. It's not the coin's fault. This is just how the iPhone camera sees it with that setup.

So, are you saying that the $400 setup doesn't have enough working distance to be able to take a pic of the slab itself? I've always wondered about that with this setup
Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadDog- Ray answered your question in the <$400 setup thread. Simply put, no, I can't take a full shot of a slab, but I use my iPhone for slab shots, as stated earlier. I actually prefer it this way. It's more tedious to "build" glamour slab images, but at least they will all have a uniform look, and that's what I want.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updated composite slab shot I did today- raw iPhone image vs update. The details are clearer and the color is now accurate.

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Updated composite slab shot I did today- raw iPhone image vs update. The details are clearer and the color is now accurate.
Looking good!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some stellar images. I would love to hear more about what photoshop techniques you are using to crop the coin photos and create those backgrounds. Can you do them in batch, or do you need to modify each individually? I'm really curious as to how you get such a great crop on the coin and how you create that subtle whitish halo around the edge.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ngs428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Darth! Imaging full slabs is very challenging. Yours look great!
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6296 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I could still be using DPiV
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JBuck
I just looked at your Eisenhower dollars. Are you using PCGS truview? You can't be taking those pics through the case, can you?

Does Paint.net have an easy and reliable feature for automatically cropping the coin from the background?
Edited by Jadey
06/02/2019 3:28 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadDog you were wondering if he can take a full slab shot with his System 3 Unit. I myself have the System 10 (I believe that's the right number). It was right around $700.00 from Ray back about 3 months ago. That system does allow you to take a full slab shot. He also has it listed on his site. I think when he customized my setup I asked for a different enlarging lens which drove the final price up a bit. But I myself am very happy with the system that Ray built for me. He even helped me with finding other parts which now allows me to modify different lens using his stand. It is so easy to shoot now I feel a bit guilty because I still need to learn how to use and take quality Raw photos. I shoot with a T6i .
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just looked at your Eisenhower dollars. Are you using PCGS truview? You can't be taking those pics through the case, can you?
Only two of them are True View (the 1973-S 40% Silver BU and the 1978-D). Most are from seller's photos. A handful I took myself. Yes, while in the holder (where they remain).

Quote:
Does Paint.net have an easy and reliable feature for automatically cropping the coin from the background?
It has a circle select tool, which you can adjust to get as close to the edge as necessary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those are some stellar images. I would love to hear more about what photoshop techniques you are using to crop the coin photos and create those backgrounds. Can you do them in batch, or do you need to modify each individually? I'm really curious as to how you get such a great crop on the coin and how you create that subtle whitish halo around the edge.

Thanks, Jadey. I appreciate your comments. I created several blank templates with different colored backgrounds. A white background is what I like to use most often, but some coins, like steel cents, look better against a black background. I duplicated PCGS's TrueView "halo" in PS CS5 using these basic steps, which will be different in other applications, of course, including later versions of PS:

I had to do some tweaking to get the template just right, but once you have it finished as a permanent template, then yes, you can batch coin images for faster post-processing. I started out with this simple background:

Then I added the glowing edge halo. This is what the above background looks like after completing the basic steps. The example I'm using is for a white background with dark halo. For a black background with white halo you would simply skip step #1.

Then I added my logo and fine print.

Specific coin information can then be added for each rendering. Once I have a particular coin image finished I save it as another file name ("Save as") to preserve the blank template.
Edited by Darth Morgan
06/04/2019 10:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 3,580Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05