Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do Certain Morgan Dollar Dates Tend To Be Toned More?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  08:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I like Morgan dollars, and I prefer what I consider to be nicely toned dollars. Why is it that certain dates and mint marks tend to be more readily available toned than others? Some dates and mints seem not to be available at all. I have two theories that may or may not be valid. One date and mint mark that tends to be more toned than others is 1885-O. Perhaps the New Orleans mint received bags that were more conducive to toning coins that year. Another theory is that the 1885-O is relatively inexpensive and nicely struck than others and folks who artificially tone pick that date because the downside is not as great should they get a "bad" toning result. Am I missing something obvious here?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Morgan dates that went into circulation are difficult to find with attractive rainbow toning. Silver does not typically tone while in active circulation. The common dates that sit in canvas bags in a bank vault are the most common rainbow toners. White Morgans were preferred by collectors when the bags were sold to the public, and a lot of the Morgan toners were dipped In the 60's and 70's. Some of the coins in the bank vaults stayed in the canvas bags in collector hordes until the last couple of decades. My guess is the 85 0 is a date that many missed the dipping years because they were still in the orginal bags in a collector horde.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42726 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good analysis.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05