Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 S Lincoln Cent MS Squeeker

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  4:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this oddball and just warmed up to it scruffiness and all. Having budgeted for AU-58 I went ahead and bid that range and won. I don't see MS60-61 semikeys very often and find it a challenge discerning pickups that push a good looking 58 into low MS. Coin is in an old white ANACS holder graded 61. Would this coin withstand today's grading requirements? Your insight is appreciated. CoinFrog don't let them switch me to hard

Pillar of the Community
United States
5422 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it could make 61 still
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3480 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice example of that key date.
One of two holes I have left to fill. Congratulations.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin!

Slider for sure, AU-62
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, was bracing for AU-58 , there's some tough cookies on this forum. Probably crack this out and see what PCGS gives it. Always a potential downgrade possible but only way to find out is to try. Was surprised it hammered at $245.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone mention '' Tough Cookies ''? I just can't agree that this is an MS 14-S Lincoln . Don't get me wrong ,it is real nice , good color and no problems for an AU-59 .
JMHO .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from pics. Could be 58 or 62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3304 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without conservation, the slightly weak obverse strike, and the "grit" on the obverse plus reverse, this example could come back as AU55 or AT58.

Personally, I don't see an upside of a new slabbing. Don't believe conservation will help that much.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty good to me. In general, old white ANACS are pretty accurate. I would leave it as is, unless you want to try crossover leaving it in the holder, but why bother?
Edited by jimbucks
03/09/2019 8:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A delima. Hmmm when in doubt crack it out, or better yet wait it out. Logically since I plan on keeping it crossing it over does seem unnecessary. Probably just admire coin as is for now. A grade of AU-55 would give me a cra*#* feeling. It is a pretty decent coin it just is so close that bothering it might jinx it.
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jlam79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a nice die state. Good luster and very clean.
Good job !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41451 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautifu example, certainly no less than AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7672 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 also
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 for me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 ! With this outfit of graders that's a winner for me. Although Grape and BadThads opinions make my toes tingle. You guys are tough on coins! The only thing I got going here is my thin skin grading skills . Not to disagree or complain but if the majority say AU-58 then I am motivated to let PCGS have a go at it all it can do is grade at that. If she comes back MS60 all the better. Will post PCGS grade when I get it back. Thanks all.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05