Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 S Lincoln Cent MS Squeeker

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2740 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you cracking it out, or sending in the holder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holder, I will let them run the risk cracking it. If I recall correctly I am able to give instructions to defer if coin won't cross. It being in an ANACS slab though not sure if same applies. Really curious though as coin looks noticeably sharper than any AU-58 I own. But I have seen 58's where I thought surely there's some mistake in this grade. Nothing is certain with the TPG's but this forum bunch hits the nail on the head 9 out of 10 so feelin good about it. Will get some home shots of it and post before I ship it. These GC auction photos show every little flaw.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3212 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This IS your coin and I respect that.

A couple of thoughts on cracking this coin out.

Personally, I would not purchase this coin in an MS61 or 62 slab. I would want an MS example with some red. Again, my opinion.

There is not that much upside, between an AU58 grade and MS61 or 62....to spend money on grading fees.
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Acloco, appreciate your candor. I am running into forks in the road putting together a mostly AU+ series set. Many things that more experienced collectors could take for granted like "field experience" that I am just now facing/experiencing. The forum is enabling me to see, hear, and feel what I suppose was hard earned knowledge 20-30 years ago. Will definitely take your post under advisement.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3212 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to add....

As a collector, I am ALL for an AU58 slabbed coin, especially, if the coin looks MS63 or better!!

As a collector, if I am presented slabbed MS60/61/62 graded coins, I am wondering what is wrong with these coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15690 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like your coin a lot in a PCGS AU-58 slab.

Nothing wrong with AU-58!

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
03/11/2019 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's it an example of a "high end" AU-58 BadThad your coin is a perfect example of the AU-58 coins I occasionally see. Yes I would pay book or over for examples like this in AU ignoring weak unattractive low MS coins. Eureka! the art of cherrypicking. I get it now, the example I have is a high end AU coin where the slab is irrelivent to an informed collector. This basic buying scenario is in the Q. David Bowers book over and over yet its Greek until I apply it. Educational milestone crossed here! Sounds pretty amateurish but I just crossed into another level and not shy about it "Im becoming an informed buyer". Tunnel vision, I had tunnel vision on this 1914 S. Appreciate not being ridiculed, I would have seized up and missed this basic crucial point.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3212 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadThad's example is exactly what collectors love!

By chance, I purchased a 1909 S Lincoln, slabbed as AU58 as well. Cracked, sent to PCGS, returned as MS64.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15690 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By chance, I purchased a 1909 S Lincoln, slabbed as AU58 as well. Cracked, sent to PCGS, returned as MS64.

Classic, I pegged this 18S at MS-63 which is why I submitted it. I'm sure it was a tough call for NGC - again, why I sent it. If I had money to burn, I'd send it to PCGS for a cross-over. Given the eye appeal, I'm fairly certain they'd 63 it.

Point being....I'd SURELY rather have an AU-58 over a 61/62....which are usually ugly.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33399 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Step right up, folks! Pick a grader, spend your money!
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is Android shots of obv. and rev. in natural light. Has a mellow BRN color with hints of red hidden along the rim. Having a bad hair day here with interopability , pleeease excuse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some updated pics after the jailbreak and a gentle rinse. At coin show 6 for 9 said AU58, 2 for 9 present grade, and 1 for 9 NGC 62BN. Pretty consistent with forums opinions. I'm pleased, it looks nicer out of that old coffin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33399 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why you would crack this, can't imagine it grading higher, plus the fees?
Pillar of the Community
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog the crud on it was driving me nuts, its probably 58 and it blends in spectacularly with my set. I'm pecking away at upgrading my series set to AU MS BN. At some point it might get holderd with PCGS but I want to study this thing real close as a guide.
Im seeing coins raw at shows collectors/dealers have that rival many auction queens. I'm cutting my teeth out there applying fundamentals that have to be mastered sooner or later. Yup bound to mess up but its the thrill of the hunt. Forum has helped create a journeymen frankenstein collector.
Dr. Frog I can't help myself at times the students will run hither like wild beasts. Lots of sound advise I have received here but I also run counter to herd when instinct kicks in. IE this 09 S vdb was poohpooed here, my gut told me otherwise, its just right nothing fancy but solid. Full book I paid and no remorse. Here's the point Froggy I just love them Lincoln Wheats and I'm coming along. Busting that baby out was fast and sweet. The 09 s will be staying slabbed, no need to going full nutty. Finis

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05