Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Canada Montreal Un Sou 1837's, And Something Else...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  5:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK folks. So I have this thick display and storage sheet of a dozen tokens.

Ten of them are Canada Montreal Un Sou, one is a Canadian 1813 Half Penny Token, and one is... something else. It's bright silver. I haven't touched it but it looks like it is made of some sort of foil, maybe even aluminum foil. I think there are old fashioned playing cards embossed on it.

Anyone have any idea what this foil thing is?

Here's a link to an online folder with very large pics all the tokens
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S...OAUoOxwLUXJi

Thanks!!

Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a tin foil rubbing of Breton # 572. The original token must have been in very high grade as the rubbings show great detail.

Breton # 572 is relatively common - rated as an R1, easy to obtain.

Your collection is off to a nice start. Should you wish to pursue it, I recommend obtaining a copy of The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens, 9th edition, 2015. Also a copy of The Illustrated History of the Coins and Tokens Relating to Canada by P.N. Breton (reprints of this 1894 classic are readily available).
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info!

A rubbing? So it's a placeholder for a missing coin.

I'm not a collector. I'm helping someone sell a vast collection of antiques that was owned by someone who passed away.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1556 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a coin under the foil?
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, no coin under the foil. I took a tissue and gently touched it and there's two pieces of foil, nothing in between.

The prices of these tokens vary widely. I'm seeing them sell on ebay for under $10US, but I'm also seeing them valued at over $100US.

I'm asking because I'm looking for the right venue for selling them. Beside these eleven, I also have two coin boxes full of old Canadian tokens, like this one. This is labeled BR 997 PE 10-11, $350US. I have a guess on who priced it, but not when it was priced.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05