Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Gold Coin Of Unknown Description - Please Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  7:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No idea as to whether the image is of a bird. On the obverse side is an incuse square. Help

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been thinking about this for 2 days.
I think I found a similar image, sold by Baldwin's but the link is dead. The description is a Ionia Electrum Half Hekte. Here is the photo.

So, I would pursue the path of Ionia Hekte or 1/2 Hekte.
Additionally, I found other coins that had a character that was human head and bird body. Although very different from your coin, It is possible that your coin is also such a creature. here is a link https://www.sovr.co.uk/mysia-kyziko...cm03928.html
I hope that helps.
Edited by BigSilver
03/13/2019 4:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one more link
http://coinproject.com/search_city_...IONIA&type=1
There are 2 coins described as having a "siren" on it. Look exactly like yours, but worse condition.
A siren in Greek Mythology is described as

Quote:
any of a group of female and partly human creatures in Greek mythology that lured mariners to destruction by their singing
Edited by BigSilver
03/14/2019 09:20 am
Valued Member
France
158 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My impression is that it is a fake... and not a hight quality one... sorry
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have added that I do not know anything about the series' and how to determine genuine from fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11044 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rondo, can you please post the weight and diameter for this piece?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05