Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Lincoln Cent Missing "Trust" And Wheat Stalk- Strike Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  11:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello-
I have a a couple 1955 Lincoln Cents with strike problems on both the obverse and reverse Corresponding to the same section of the coin on both sides. I have images of two coins Image 1-10 is of the most pronounced coin. Image 11 and 12 are of a second similar coin. I showed both in order to demonstrate this is not a solitary PMD coin.

The coins are perfectly round but about 25% thinner just in the area of question. The weight is 2.71g. Took many photos. Coin is round and with brown color. Some of the photos look grey but are brown.

Coin 1 has Obverse missing the word "TRUST" entirely. The word "WE" and the Last 5 are weak. On the Reverse the bottom of the right wheat stalk is missing.

My first thought was PMD by sanding or buffing which could explain the low weight. However it is so symmetric on both obverse and reverse and the coin. Additionally it doesn't show any overt signs of mechanical manipulation.

Looks like a grease strike or die deterioration though but would not expect this on both sides and doesn't explain the weight.

As such I am leaning toward die deterioration or planchet thinning? Does this seem right?

Thanks

Edited by tryingmybest
03/15/2019 4:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am definitely not an expert on coins, but to me, it looks like normal wear. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in! Cheers!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26382 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a tapered planchet?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33441 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're probably right, especially judging from the edge pics.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35735 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with thinned planchet. The weight should be under a bit from a normal circulated coin. are these images of one coin or two? The area on TRUST on the last letters show the rim looking differently like one coin was dropped bending in the rim on image #11?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33441 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely images of two different coins.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone input. A planchet error would explain the weight at 2.7g.

The last 2 pictures (image 11 and 12) are of a 2nd coin. I mentioned the 2nd coin in my description but seems I was not clear. I put it in there to demonstrate that this effect (weak to no Trust) is repeated on different coins, leading me to believe it is a strike/planchet issue rather than PMD. I have 3-4 coins in various stages of weakness.
The actual coin in image 11 is round and not impinged but I think there was a little movement in the photo.

If you think the 2nd coin image actually confuses the issue, I will remove it. Was just trying to show there are others out there with similar effect. I have been going through 300-400 old 1955's which had not been touched in 40 years.
Edited by tryingmybest
03/15/2019 3:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen many 55s in various stages of this weak lettering, but none as much as this example though. I've always attributed it to struck through grease.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35735 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I want something to stand out, I will use the underline affect. It makes it stand out from the rest of the description. That might help. When two coins are the same color, it makes it look like they are the same coin because of that color. I missed the note on the two coins issue when I read the information.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made the adjustment with underline and slightly different commentary. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35735 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You do have 24 hours to edit your posts. I've done that many times. Even adding images or replacing images with new information I left off the first image. I've had a few posts here. LOL
Richard S. Cooper

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05